Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cross gate action on my 156 JTD had got very stiff, so on Saturday I had a look at the linkage mechanism at the gearbox end.

I removed the battery tray and battery to get at the linkage, disconnected the cable and it was clear that the stiffness was in the pivot mechanism.

When I pulled the pivot lever out of the casing (or more accurately, drifted it out with a large hammer) the stiffness wasn't due to corrosion inside the casing or on the lever, but was due to one of the plastic / nylon "top hat" bushes being chewed up (there's one in either end of the casing that the lever passes through)

I believe you can get these from Alfa, but does anybody have a part number? I can't see them listed on eper.

Cheers,

Matt

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
When you put it back together make sure you put a good smear of copper grease which should stop the problem happening again!

·
Registered
916 Posts
The bushes are the same as for 147 TS's, which are available as a separate part. It's not actually the bush that's the initial problem: it's the aluminium housing into which they fit. The aluminium corrodes, squashing the bushes onto the pivot shaft. Therefore, ensure you thoroughly clean out the housing before you fit the new bushes, which you should be able to push in by hand.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bushes are the same as for 147 TS's, which are available as a separate part. It's not actually the bush that's the initial problem: it's the aluminium housing into which they fit. The aluminium corrodes, squashing the bushes onto the pivot shaft. Therefore, ensure you thoroughly clean out the housing before you fit the new bushes, which you should be able to push in by hand.
You beauty! Just spotted your answer and part number on the other similar thread. Thanks a lot :thumbs:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Matt, bought some of these for my GT today. When i phoned Mangos parts department, he told me that they don't list this part for the GT!! When i told him it was the same part as the 147, he sold me a pair of them. Result..... lovely smooth gearchange! So it appears even AR don't have a eper with this part listed for GT's! :lol:

p.s anyone reading this thread later on the part number is 46467103

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matt, bought some of these for my GT today. When i phoned Mangos parts department, he told me that they don't list this part for the GT!! When i told him it was the same part as the 147, he sold me a pair of them. Result..... lovely smooth gearchange! So it appears even AR don't have a eper with this part listed for GT's! :lol:

p.s anyone reading this thread later on the part number is 46467103
Yep, when I went back to the dealers today clutching a printout from eper showing the part for a 147, even they (or the mechanics) didn't realise that you could get that part separately to fit the other models. Armed with the right part number, they had them in stock, so I'll be fitting them at the weekend.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well fitted these this afternoon.

Took it all apart again, knocked the old bushes out, ran some wet and dry through the housing, new bushes pushed in (with fingers), smear of grease inside the housing and on the pivot lever and reassembled.

What a difference! I can move the gear lever across the gate with my fingertips, and it now self-centres! Amazing how fixing such a trivial thing can make such a difference.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
Well fitted these this afternoon.

Took it all apart again, knocked the old bushes out, ran some wet and dry through the housing, new bushes pushed in (with fingers), smear of grease inside the housing and on the pivot lever and reassembled.

What a difference! I can move the gear lever across the gate with my fingertips, and it now self-centres! Amazing how fixing such a trivial thing can make such a difference.

This is my next job. :)

·
Registered
665 Posts
OK, here's a diagram of what I mean (from eper).

I've shown with 2 arrows where the bushes in question live. But they're not shown on eper :mad:
Could anyone upload the same diagram but for the 147 instead of GT ? Alfa told me that I can only buy the entire assembly and not any of the individual parts making up the unit where the bushes are housed, at a cost of £140 !!!!

Many Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Could anyone upload the same diagram but for the 147 instead of GT ? Alfa told me that I can only buy the entire assembly and not any of the individual parts making up the unit where the bushes are housed, at a cost of £140 !!!!

Many Thanks
Anyone ?

This is the only thing I found looking at eper online and it doesn't seem to explode the the part that I am looking at ...

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
bushes are the same part number but what I was after is the sub-assembly that I circled ... is your diagram an exploded view of that sub-assembly ?

When to my alfa dealer to discuss this today but even after checking with Alfa UK they were adamend that GT and 147 would have different PN and that the sub-assemble that I am after is not sold on its own for the GT, hence my question about your diagram ;-)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got this to do on mine really stiff bought bushes but I was wondering do you have to remove the battery and tray how many bolts hold the bracket on?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Got this to do on mine really stiff bought bushes but I was wondering do you have to remove the battery and tray how many bolts hold the bracket on?
Probably just doable without removing the battery, if you've gone tiny flexible arms... I managed to fit a short shifter without removing battery or tray, but it was tight!

Probably easiest to get the battery and possibly top turbo hose out of the way!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Took battery tray out on the end everything was just too tight lol. I now have a lovely smooth gearshift for the cost of my time and a couple bits of plastic lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts