Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The gear lever on my 2.4 Qtronic has stuck in 'Park. It happened once before but i managed to move it eventually.
It seems like the trigger won't depress/click in fully?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Fraze

·
Registered
33 Posts
Use the sliding door on the passenger side of the centre console to access the manual overide. Pull the tab inside and move the lever.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'll try that - presumably with the car switched off?

Thanks again,
Fraze

·
Registered
33 Posts
Think it will only start in Park then use the manual overide to move down to Drive.
May have to do the same with the overide to get it back into park once journey complete.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to eventually get it out of Park earlier today. I tapped it around a bit and it finally freed up. I went to my local Alfa garage to book it in, drove back and when I got home it got stuck in Drive..! Some more tapping and persuading and I finally got it back to Park!

I reckon I'll be out there in the morning faffing around for a while before i can go anywhere..

Fraze

·
Registered
416 Posts
A good tip (mine works for months on end then throws a wobbly) is to tap down onto the top of the lever which should release it easy enough.
Not sure if it's a solenoid issue or just "sticky" and needs a grease, but the hardish tap down has always worked for me (I pulled the tab off when opening that centre console tunnel bit).

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
A good tip (mine works for months on end then throws a wobbly) is to tap down onto the top of the lever which should release it easy enough.
Not sure if it's a solenoid issue or just "sticky" and needs a grease, but the hardish tap down has always worked for me (I pulled the tab off when opening that centre console tunnel bit).
Its the latter but not the solenoid. Its actually the small switch mechanism inside the gear knob than translates the trigger action to a downward press on ball-bearing over the centre shaft at the top of the main gear shaft to release the lock.

Simple fix. Just remove the knob and spray in some good quality heavy spray grease onto the mechanism in it and then put it back together and you will be good for another 20K miles. I have to do mine once a year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts