Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

Forget the pun, but this is driving me crazy... most of the time I get into the car and the lever centres correctly (albeit not so spring like). Then after about 20 minutes of driving it weakens on the left to centre position. When it is centred it is slightly slack (definitely compared to the Seat I hired last weekend). Right to centre is always okay.

The other day for the second time in owning the car in 4 months, it didn't even sluggishly spring back into the centre. It just stayed in whatever position I left it in. That was a real problem finding third gear--maybe it had something to do with not driving the car for a few days. So today I decided to take the car to the garage.... and guess what... it was okay again!--centred perfectly, albeit not so spring like and slack the centre, but anyway garage recommended me to call them when I have the issue again. This is Switzerland and looking at things doesn't come cheap.

Where can I start to look myself? I've done some searches and found plenty of results regarding linkages and plates, but I don't even know where to look on the car. Do I need to get the car jacked up and have a look underneath?

I'm driving the car to England mid-December and will be heading from Dover to Manchester. Is there someone kind of on the way that can take a look?

The car is an Alfa 147 1.6 TS on the equiv of a 51 plate (Nov 2001).

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
It's an item best found with 2 people.
Open the bonnet and shine a torch down between the battery and the black air intake. Then get your willing assistant to move the gearstick side to side only. You should spot a rod moving on top of the gear box that drives a linkage that puls and pushes a lever up and down on the gearbox. It is the horizontal shaft that translates the moving of the rod into the up/down motion that is at fault.

The bushes on this rod are plastic and can be changed by taking the big nut of the up/down end and removing, replacing the very cheap bushes and then refitting.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
You can get to it by just removing the inlet pipe and without jacking the car. It's a bit tricky without removing the battery, but I managed to get my sausage fingers in there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. Will have a look at that this weekend as it's dark at nights now. I guess I can source the parts from the Alfa dealer I visited today...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I managed to get these plastic bushes from the main dealer for about the price of a bottle of Coca Cola.
If you find it too tricky to fit, a local garage could help you out for about half an hour's labour.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just got mine sorted last week. No confidence doing it myself so got it done at a garage. They replaced the bushes and lubricated it and now it's working a treat. So much more enjoyable driving the car now as it was driving me crazy! And it was embarrassing when I had mates in the car watching me struggle to find 3rd gear!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I didn't know what bushes were and have just spent the last two hours crawling the web and found out what I need to know. Found some pictures and now know based these and the various descriptions of what to do (thanks MPH!), am confident. I hope I can drive to the garage after I mess all this up! :p

In the two images below, you can see the black plastic bushes at each end of the rod. I'm simply going to replace these right?

If I don't manage to replace them at this stage... do you think just removing them and giving them a good clean with some silicon grease (which I'll get tomorrow) will do? My thinking is that the garage seemed unhelpful today and trying to explain what I want in German with these photos on my iPod touch could prove difficult. "Buchse" I believe they're called in German (& that took 20 minutes to work out!).

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Anyone know the part numbers for these?
See attached (a screenshot of Fiat's ePAR site). It shows the part numbers of bits shown in the right-hand picture above.

The bushes themselves are 46467103. However I have personally ordered from an independent plastics dealer, http://www.igus.com/. I also ordered some silicon grease off eBay.co.uk as I couldn't find the right stuff in the shops here.

I ordered 2 x GFM-1517-12 (iglidur G, Form F (metric)) and am still awaiting delivery. Cost about £2 each. So if you don't get anywhere with your Alfa dealer, you may want to consider them instead. I got the details from this thread here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/97845-gear-linkage.html

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
See attached (a screenshot of Fiat's ePAR site). It shows the part numbers of bits shown in the right-hand picture above.

The bushes themselves are 46467103. However I have personally ordered from an independent plastics dealer, igus® Inc: E-Chain Cable Carrier Systems®, iglide® plastic bearings, Chainflex® flexible cable, Drylin® linear guides and bearings, ReadyChain harnessed systems, igubal® spherical bearings, aluminum shafting. I also ordered some silicon grease off eBay.co.uk as I couldn't find the right stuff in the shops here.

I ordered 2 x GFM-1517-12 (iglidur G, Form F (metric)) and am still awaiting delivery. Cost about £2 each. So if you don't get anywhere with your Alfa dealer, you may want to consider them instead. I got the details from this thread here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/97845-gear-linkage.html
rdiggle - did you ever fit these generic bushings, and if so, did they resolve the problem?

Anyone know if the (1999) 156 part is the same dimensions as this 147 part? Also, can it be done from the engine bay (i.e. without jacking up) on the 156?

Thanks,

Lee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts