Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, So I ordered a new gear lever to fix the wobbly gear lever problem I have . I started stripping the protective covers underneath so I could get to the retaining bolt on the gear leaver. I have removed the exhaust and disconnect the handbrake, removed all the bolts holding the big cover on and its very loose but will not remove all the way! its loose and rattles about but something is holding it. I have even drilled the rivets to remove the heat shield hoping to find a hidden bolt . Has any body else done this job and can offer me any advice . Last resort would be to drill through the plate with a hole saw to get to the bolt but not keen on this method . Thanks for any help .

·
Registered
12 Posts
update, I have found a bolt under the carpet directly under the Radio .
Hi M - Did that give you the access you needed ...I only ask as i have to replace the three-piece gear linkage this weekend - sloppy play in the box :-(

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi M - Did that give you the access you needed ...I only ask as i have to replace the three-piece gear linkage this weekend - sloppy play in the box :-(
Hi,I’ve been looking to sort my wobbly gear stick for a long time,what pets are needed?Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply,
Got a bit disheartened after attempting this job, getting the bolt out from the gear leaver to the gear linkage was almost impossible and getting it all back together was just as hard because of the tight access. I think the best way would be to remove the gear linkage from the gearbox end first and reattach it last(I have not tried that yet) My gear leaver is worse than ever now . Does anyone know if the white bushes on the gear leaver can be purchased separately? I would then have to cut the end off the gear leaver to fit it and weld the end back on.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The wobble on mine was due to the nylon part-spherical moulding on the lever moving in its housing when it was screwed down fully, possibly due to wear (the collar where screw 2 fits in the diagram).
With a bit of trial and error this play can be taken up with a large fibre washer (about 43mm diameter if i remember correctly) underneath the nylon part so it just moves easily when all tightened down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts