Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another stupid question (I'm cranking them out today) ... my gear knob is looking very tatty and I was thinking of getting a shiny new one.

But I can't seem to shift the original knob. I was guessing it would just unscrew, but I'm giving it some serious torque and it's not shifting.

Worried in case too much twisting will do something nasty to the gearbox ...

And yes, I'm only too painfully aware of the temptation for a whole series of knob gags ... :lol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
indeed, i have days when i keep on cranking them out...usually after baywatch re-runs :D

but re the gearstick, i think it just pulls straight off, but it's really difficult to budge apparently.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You have to twist & pull at the same time, there's a ridge on the end of the shaft which the knob locates on. A good, firm twist and a yank should do it! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
.............A good, firm twist and a yank should do it!

That brings back happy memories !!!! ................. of when I first met 'er indoors.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think some are stuck better than others. There was no way in hell mine was budging when I did it. I was applying scary amounts of torque.

I had to hack mine to bits with a knife. I did post a guide on the now defunk sportsalfa. I'll have to look out the photos.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I know it might not seem that viable :

My g/f's gtv gear knob was badly faded and worn. Applied some black leather dye meant for a Porsche. Gave it a few coats, left to dry. Applied leather cleaner on top. Looks like new again :D

Saves all this hassle too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I replaced my GTV's last night with this from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gear-Knob-M5-Leather-Chrome-For-ALFA-ROMEO-GTV_W0QQitemZ350162174638QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item350162174638&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Must say it does look swish am very happy with it. Believe it or not had the old one off in 2 minutes. Sat in drivers seat. Held the knob with both hands and gave a firm twist to the left. Then twisted it back to original position then back to left. Then with left knee on driver seat, right foot bracing floor and right hand on knob I pulled with all my might and it came out after a couple of pulls.

Will take some pics of the new one to post here for you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've taken 3 off in my time.....the easiest way is to slit it up the side with a stanley knife. It just peels away then.

This is assuming you won't be re-using it :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
any photos of this diy? I would like to get a new momo shift knob but wasn't sure if momo screw type would fit.

L

·
0 Posts
I did mine a few months ago, i had to hacksaw the thing off. I also shortened the shaft by 10mm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Actually, that Ford Knob doesn't look at all bad :)

I've found the easiest way of revoving Alfa gear knobs (provided that you don't want to use them again) is to grip them with a large set of stilson type pipe wrench, and pull& twist at the same time. This shreds anp splines on the inside of the knob, so it won't fit on very well again, but gets them off in seconds.
They are all just pushed on at the factory (no glue) probably by a very burly Italian chappie!
I replaced one in a GT and needed several thumps with a rubber mallet to get the new one back on, took longer than removing the old one.

Mine is looking tatty, and I have also gone down the leather dye route (am trying to keep it looking stock). Put a few coats on last night, haven't looked yet, so fingers crossed it will polish up nicely, other wise I might be looking for an ST one, if I can't find a good nick OE one.

A knob is a very personal Item I find :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you are going to employ some if the above techniques ensure that your support the gearstick firmly and ensure that it doesnt twist whilst removing the knob, nothing wrong with the above suggestions but just be careful or you'll cause damage,..... I got my missus to grasp the shaft firmly and then i cut the old tattered knob off with a hacksaw:eek::)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had to hacksaw mine off. It was an absolute bugger. But I trimmed the length of the stick a little too, which was a good idea.

I replaced it with a Momo knob off ebay, and replaced the little 5 speed marker with an Alfa badge, and it looks top. You should do that. I think a few people on here have done that.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
depending on what gearknob you get, it might be worth keeping the bottom inch or so of the original knob in good nick, it came in very handy for inserting into my new shiny knob so that the gaiter still had something to clip to. works a treat :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
it might be worth keeping the bottom inch or so of the original knob in good nick, it came in very handy for inserting into my new shiny knob so that the gaiter still had something to clip to
bl**dy good idea that. I was wondering what to do about fitting the gaitor :cool:

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
I know it might not seem that viable :

My g/f's gtv gear knob was badly faded and worn. Applied some black leather dye meant for a Porsche. Gave it a few coats, left to dry. Applied leather cleaner on top. Looks like new again :D

Saves all this hassle too.
Good tip! i reckon restoring the original is the best.:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts