Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first things first i know how to drive manuals iv driven a column shift Holden HQ and a 5speed Chrysler scorpion so now for my problem when i change gears to lower eg at lights i always seem to crunch second gear i have to wait for the revs to drop low enough for my gear to go in :cry: i dont think this is normall can some one help me out with sugestions or a good replacement for my old gears as never worked on gears befour

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yep 2nd gear syncro mesh has self destructed, its a painful job to do unless you can find a really good 2nd hand box to swap out but nowadays its a bit of pot luck getting none of those.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
welcome to the world of the boxer gearbox :lol:

Afraid its very normal on these boxes. double cultching helps a little. Also a good flush and fill with fresh gearbox oil helped a tiny bit with mine. Ive heard you can swap the 2nd gear synchro for the 5th gear one but it only moves the problem around rather than solving it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
welcome to the world of the boxer gearbox :lol:

Afraid its very normal on these boxes. double cultching helps a little. Also a good flush and fill with fresh gearbox oil helped a tiny bit with mine. Ive heard you can swap the 2nd gear synchro for the 5th gear one but it only moves the problem around rather than solving it.
I've done this - it works a treat, but if your paying somebody else to pull the box apart and do this for you then your better off getting new synchro's for 1st and 2nd put in.

It is a pretty easy box to work on though - I suggest getting the Haynes (Alfasud) manual, it has lots of good descriptions and pictures, will talk you through the cam belts too

33 and Sud mechanicals are pretty much the same.

K

·
0 Posts
suppose the advantage in swapping the worn synchro to 5th gear is it won't get as much abuse as 2nd does, you will never change down into 5th :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Right on boys. And at one time Fiat used an earlier version Porsche synchonisation mechanism which was a bit 'lazy' but worked fine if you moved that lever rather more edately?:):

1 - 11 of 11 Posts