Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, i really hope someone can help. On the way to work this morning i had huge issues changing gear which got worse to the point where i couldnt engage any gear with the engine running. With the engine off i could get it into gear thou.
When the RAC guy turned up he had a fiddle and said it was possibly slave clutch cylinder or clutch master cylinder.

I have just driven it 15 miles with no issues to my local garage !!! What is going on ??

2 Questions:

What is wrong with the gears ???

How much is it going to cost me to fix ???

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
if it's in the garage mate you may as well wait until they see it. if it's a JTD then it shouldn't be expensive if it's the master or slave cylinder. if it's a master cylinder it won't be expensive in either instance. If it's a petrol and it's the slave it's going to be expensive.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
not really if I'm honest, only because I doubt it makes any difference whether the engine is off or on, but I could be wrong. Your best bet is just to wait until the garage diagnose it then come back here so we can give you advise on HOW to sort it best, as opposed to us just chiming in with conjecture on what it may or may not be.

i know it's agonising and it sucks, but guessing what it is hours/minutes before knowing what it is won't be of any benefit.

[email protected]

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same issue a couple of months ago, my clutch plate and master cylinder had gone, if you have had a new clutch then that rules the plate out, im gonna have a stab in the dark and say master cylinder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One further bit of info - when the RAC guy pumped the clutch pedal a number of times i was able to operate gear shift as normal again and ran fine for 15 miles ?? !! ??

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thats the same issue ive had/having, after clutch and master changed all was okay until now, now having issues again, when i pump the pedal it works for a while, had clutch bled and it was fine for a couple of weeks but came back, shes now in the garage for it and for a couple of other faults, i think the slave is at fault on mine, but i think its your master.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update from the garage they say they is sign of fluid leak from the Slave Cylinder and no sign of leak from the master cylinder. Looks like gearbox out, shall i do the clutch whilst its out ???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depends on how long the clutch you have has been in, if its been in a while you may as well get it changed, it will save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Could it not just be that the clutch system needs bleeding at all?
If there is no leak at the master or slave then is it not a possiblity that the system is full of air.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The slave is always the most likely im afraid, and as stated its a gearbox off job. Id highly recommend doing the clutch at the same time, youll pay no extra labour for fitting so its a no brainer.

Bleeding it might temporarily gain normal clutch operation, but most likely for a very short period of time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Power Italia - you are right it is now confirmed that it is the Slave. Will do clutch as well while its all out and open !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE..........

Many thanks to all those who offered help and advice - my thanks to you all, it was the slave cylinder that failed.

Here is the final score:

New Slave Cylinder.
New Clutch Kit fitted - might as well the clutch was out.
New clutch fluid
Tracking done on front.
New wiper blade on rear.
New brake pedal switch.
Faulty reverse light wiring cured
Various small welding jobs to exhaust brackets.
New engine shield.
Valet inside.

All in all a big bill, will it always be like this........................?????

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
UPDATE..........

Many thanks to all those who offered help and advice - my thanks to you all, it was the slave cylinder that failed.

Here is the final score:

New Slave Cylinder.
New Clutch Kit fitted - might as well the clutch was out.
New clutch fluid
Tracking done on front.
New wiper blade on rear.
New brake pedal switch.
Faulty reverse light wiring cured
Various small welding jobs to exhaust brackets.
New engine shield.
Valet inside.

All in all a big bill, will it always be like this........................?????

No, sometimes it may be rather expensive...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts