Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my giulietta for a month now. I must say its real fun to drive it does has his problems like changing songs from usb and others... but that what it makes it an italian beauty.

but to the topic: Well I was driving 70/hour and it was a long boring road so I took my hand away from the gear changer(manuel) but somehow I must have pushed the gearknob to hard cause suddenly i was i neutral while i was in 4th. So i tried it again without touching my clutch pedal and same results i can push from 4th to neutral, gently and without pushing my pedals.
Yes pushing it gently not with bruth force. :confused:

I was wondering I know its not normal or is it a italian thing I don't know about. I know that if that my clutch can go broken really fast that way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I could be wrong but if you match the revs to the gear right it should go in and out of gear no problem. It's not something I plan to test because grinding gears brings a tear to my eye!

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can (but I wouldn't advise) let the revs settle to go up a gear and increase the revs to go down a gear. If you get the needle in the right place it will go in and out of gear as smooth as using a clutch pedal. That's in theory though! If you have knocked it out of gear when the revs are right then it would be as you described. If it's just falling out of gear at any point then there is probably an issue but I'm sure there are more clued up people on here who could help you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's a handy skill to have if your clutch breaks. Drove for 15 mins like this to get my old Alfa Berlina home once. The trickiest thing is when you have to stop and then restart the car in first gear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
First this: you never grind gears. You grind the collar.
Second this: you can always - safely - disengage a gear, as long as the gearbox isn't loaded, as in heavy acceleration (or deceleration).

And third: you can always shift gears without the clutch, but it takes practice, just like AGT said. The key is (as he says) to get the RPM right. In old cars without syncro meshes, you always did it this way. The technique to get the revs right is to double clutch; that will spin all the axels in the gearbox to the same revs as the engine. Once that's done you can get the collar to engage the next gear quite easily.

You have probably experienced this too without knowing it: If you try to engage 1st from 2nd without coming to a (near) full stop, you will find it "takes some work". That is due to the difference in speeds gearbox vs engine. The trick there is - there too - to double clutch. You will find that doing so will make getting into 1st a snap.

More info:
HowStuffWorks "How Manual Transmissions Work"

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep, I didn't understand how it all worked until I pulled apart my old alfa 5 speed transmission and had it refurbished. Not only the synchro's get worn but the teeth of the collar (which engages the gear) get ground flat making it harder to get into gear.
Years of driving around in fiats and alfas with worn out synchro on second taught me how to double the clutch. Driving my dad's old MGA made it a necessity for first gear.
Mind you I taught myself to drive without a clutch on a work car;)
Basic idea is match engine speed to gearbox speed and you can engage it without the clutch. The benefit of this technique is that even when using the clutch it will take a load of everything. I still double clutch on my Giulietta...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts