Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello it seems that one by one i am contracting every disease known to 166,s.
The latest is the gearchange neutral gait movement is stiffening up ,the gears themselves are smooth and easy its just the centralisation of the lever doesnt happen and it is a little stiff in the neutral position.
I have read that this is a common problem and that the top of the gear change on the gearbox un bolts to allow re lubrication.

Firstly i cannot believe that the gearchange lubrication would be simple knowing Alfa Romeos .

Then where is the gearchange located on gearbox ? and is it a DIY able job ? What is involved and what lubricant should be used ?
As i was hoping to use the 166 to visit rellies in Lincolnshire over the Xmas period it would be nice to free up the gearchange and the timescale doesnt allow to take to garage for repair what is the best thing ? leave the 166 at home and sort it after xmas or have a bash at sorting it ?

Oh by the way it is a Twin spark facelift 6 speed.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Cheers ,thanks
AA well covered afore and IIRC I posted a picture of the bit that needs attention.

Pomeo

Or you could wait fur eshy.

BUT

Remove air filter bit that you are not supposed to lean on.
See the two gearbox cables that attach to the thing at the top ogf the box.

prise them off..IIRC Eshy had bother wie that bitty.

Onmce off see if gearlever light and free.
If So remove the bit on the top BUTT Slacken the bolt/nut at the side....If yuou have a vice you dont need to that bit.

Then free the bushing off preferably wie a reamer
Bob yer uncle..well it is furra V6 no sure aboot twinkle but a defo strater fur 10.,

Pomeo

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If So remove the bit on the top BUTT Slacken the bolt/nut at the side....If yuou have a vice you dont need to that bit.

Pomeo[/QUOTE]

My only vice is keeping alfas on the road :cheese:

I have looked for a picture of the offending item but cannot find one .
Thanks for reply

·
Registered
10,889 Posts

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Hello it seems that one by one i am contracting every disease known to 166,s.
The latest is the gearchange neutral gait movement is stiffening up ,the gears themselves are smooth and easy its just the centralisation of the lever doesnt happen and it is a little stiff in the neutral position.
I have read that this is a common problem and that the top of the gear change on the gearbox un bolts to allow re lubrication.

Firstly i cannot believe that the gearchange lubrication would be simple knowing Alfa Romeos .

Then where is the gearchange located on gearbox ? and is it a DIY able job ? What is involved and what lubricant should be used ?
As i was hoping to use the 166 to visit rellies in Lincolnshire over the Xmas period it would be nice to free up the gearchange and the timescale doesnt allow to take to garage for repair what is the best thing ? leave the 166 at home and sort it after xmas or have a bash at sorting it ?

Oh by the way it is a Twin spark facelift 6 speed.

Hawd oan a wee minute hear,,,,

aspy in the camp a;ready had the answer

AA ewe have a cloan like dolly the sheep

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/268756-gear-stick-not-centering.html#post4015002

Pomeo

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hawd oan a wee minute hear,,,,

aspy in the camp a;ready had the answer

AA ewe have a cloan like dolly the sheep

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/268756-gear-stick-not-centering.html#post4015002

Pomeo
Yeah that was me before i erased myself and could not return myself !
I read that the gear shift could get the stiffies in Auto italia magazine a few years back but there was no description of how to do it so i never looked any further ,if i ignored it it might not happen to me ! Guess i was wrong.

Thanks for your searching for me .:thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts