Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gear selection is rather stiff and does not self centre the best. It was still stiff when disconnected from box so looks like cable issue.
Has anyone successfully lubricated cables or is it a change job?
On subject of changing is it a simple enough job on 159 1.9jtdm?

·
Registered
772 Posts
right side of the engine you can see the gear cables, spray loads if wd40 or penetrating oil on them and leave to soak

then apply again whilst someone sits in the car and changes gear

repeat every month or so and you will never have an issue again

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it was a seizing pivot pin for up and down movement on box selector so it wouldn’t self centre.

remove the retaining clip pry pivot pin out. Clean pin and hole with emery cloth refit with some lube and it was perfect

·
Registered
29 Posts
can you see the gear cables without removing anything? By Right side do you mean offside? I'm literally about to pull the trigger on gear cables and another gear assembly, shifting in my 159 is horrendous, very stiff, not smooth at all and on-top of that the gear stick doesn't centre. What would you guys advise? Pull the trigger get another set or try and sort mine out?

oh btw my car is 1750 Tbi, the cables and gear assembly would be off a 1.9JTdm same year but the donor car has only done 61k as opposed to my 112k.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes it was a seizing pivot pin for up and down movement on box selector so it wouldn’t self centre.

remove the retaining clip pry pivot pin out. Clean pin and hole with emery cloth refit with some lube and it was perfect

Is it easy enough to remove the gear assembly?

·
Registered
390 Posts
I can second this - had exactly the same issue on a previous Mito - just lever off the pivot and clean - you'll find it rusty underneath most probably

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don’t need to remove the gear assembly just pull the pivot pin out, battery out gives enough room to work.
Don’t go wasting money on cables as it will be same. Easy way to tell is pop cables off the box and with it in neutral push selector on box down it should spring back up nice and smoothly I bet it doesn’t due to the rusty pin

·
Registered
29 Posts
oh man, when i took it for a full service MVC (who get quite a good rep) they said the gear cables were seizing. They said they freed it up a bit but to be honest it didn't seem any different to me, I had the gearbox oil changed too at the same time which didn't help anything either. It's been stood a while due to covid and the battery died so had to be jump started every now and then. Noticed the gear changes have become worse, this would probably make sense if the pivot pin is rusted up. Silly me got a decent price on the gear cables and assembly so just bought the lot a few mins before you posted! Going to run out once I'm done feeding little one, see if I can do what you've mentioned. If that does work maybe I'll have enough time to ask for a refund before its sent out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How do you remove these, im at a loss here. Both ends of the cable seem pretty shot to me. There's A LOT of play in them.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The play won’t cause the stiffness and not self centering, if you resolve that by lubricating the pivot and you are just left with a bit of slop you can replace the one end which is most susceptible to free play with a cheap Peugeot Citroen part.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but which is the pivot pin? I never spend any time under the bonnet if I'm honest so all your help is massively appreciated @johnnyroper

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On your picture the big part with the large headed cable on,look closer to the gearbox and push the selector downwards and you will see the part where it pivots. If I recall correctly it connects arm from other cable to the selector arm

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That’s the puppy,remove clip at rear and slide the pin out. Give a good clean with emery along with the holes and then grease it when fitting back in

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I addition to everything posted so far, I got a good result on changing the gearbox oil using Redline MT 75-90 its a GL 4 oil and is very much an improvement if your M32 gearbox has a GL5 oil in it. Drain the oil from the bottom of the diff housing and it all comes out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can't believe it. As soon as I took that pin off (sliced my finger in the process) the gear knob instantly started centralising and shifts feel miles better. @johnnyroper you the man!! I've dropped an email to the guys I bought the parts off, will ring them first thing in the morning too, hopefully they are understanding and refund me.

Next problem is how the hell do I get this clip back on. Its very difficult! I think I have to remove the gear cables cause I was trying for a good 10 minutes to try and get it back on, before i cut myself again and realised it had started to get dark!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts