Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rant: so after fixing my car battery problem..there's another issue..My gear stick has been very strange lately, actually it started long time ago but this problem is getting worse. so basically the gear stick goes all-over the place and its very to difficult to engage 2nd and reserve gear. I can feel that sometimes the gear stick gets back in the right place but if i shift into 1st or 3rd too hard it will go far too up and goes wrong again. I brought the car into my local alfa garage they say there's a metal piece that holds the gear cable has snapped. They have put in a plate and screws in an attempt to told it in place but its not quite working in my opinion. How much would that cost to change that and is it a difficult job?

G

·
0 Posts
This a pic if you can see the bit with the holes and slots on the right hand side of the box that's what needs to be changed . Not difficult but takes a bit of time to get to it and replace stuff that's in the way .:thumbs:
The cable end sits in the hole and is held in by a plate (not on the pic)it could be the retaining plate is missing or the plate itself is broken not sure without seeing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This a pic if you can see the bit with the holes and slots on the right hand side of the box that's what needs to be changed . Not difficult but takes a bit of time to get to it and replace stuff that's in the way .:thumbs:
The cable end sits in the hole and is held in by a plate (not on the pic)it could be the retaining plate is missing or the plate itself is broken not sure without seeing it.
You're right there.. The metal piece that holds the cable through the holes and slots has cracked so the cable moves front and back when move the gear lever. I was told by one of my local alfa garage they say its probably around 400 euros to fix it including labour:eek:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
have you been to main dealers and asked if you can just buy a clip......it is just the clip isnt it? not the casting on the gearbox

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ePer gearbox bracket

Number 8 is about £20 and the clip is about £2

Ah thanks for the manual pic. Unfortunately i think what is broken in my car is the cable (which isnt numbered in that photo, on the right to number 10), you can see a round a small knob in the middle of the cable thats what has been broken..i suppose i have to replace the whole cable?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes think so not cheap think they are about £90 :wow:
Im willing to pay 90 quid to fix that to be honest...It's really driving me mad not be able to engage 2nd and reverse gear.. the only thing is i wouldnt know how to change that myself

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
eBay gear cables

To do it you need to jack the car up, drop the exhaust, drop the heat shield and tunnel, unbolt the gear stick, unclip the cables from the box. TBH its a pain of a job and an extra pair of hands makes it a little easier to do but it is Diyable...

G

·
0 Posts
That's a decent price for all that especially if the box on the lever is ok should make all the difference well worth the effort. :thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
Biffa can you get at the cable connectors from underneath or do you need to remove the battery tray for access ?
Silly question really you need to get to the top to get the clips off they are a bit stubborn.
(Engage brain before typing)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No wonder the garage tried to discourage me from changing it...instead they put in a small plate and two screws trying to keep the cable in place!

G

·
0 Posts
A lot of jobs are a mater of a lot of patience . This is not a terribly technical job just a fiddly time consuming one.
Have you done any d.i.y on your car at all. Do you know a mate who has a bit of knowledge that could help you .
You could put a shout out in your local area bit on hear see if someone would give you a hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts