Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked my gearbox oil today. Not had the car long and gearbox feels a bit notchy. The oil level is well over the maximum on the dipstick (Apx 1cm over). Could tis cause any problems? Planning to get it changed soon but not sure if I should drain some off in the meantime.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Doubt 1cm. is a problem. The box on my Thema was also overfilled when I first bought her, and some had spewed out of the tranmission breather, ( turret with a small a loose fitting plastic cap,)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Syringe a bit out (I syringed a bit into ours):(

Oh - less of the multiple posting too!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Mine wept quite a bit out of the driveshaft seals all over my parking space when it was overfilled :rolleyes: not much of a problem though I shouldn't think...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did manage to siphon some out..Got a nice mouth full of used gearbox oil..Lovely. Doesn’t appear to be leaking. It was the seals I was worried about but recon it must have been overfilled for a good while adn will get it changed at the next service becasue the oil on the dipstick looked quite clear but the stuff I got out was pretty grim.

Squadrone Rosso - Reason for the multiple posting was that I wasnt getting the right response on the others so I set this one up specifically for oil level. Apologies if you thought I was trying to do anything other than get info..Im not really a r s e d about getting extra stars in my oprofile if thats what happens. I just genuinely needed some info.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Squadrone Rosso - Reason for the multiple posting was that I wasnt getting the right response on the others so I set this one up specifically for oil level. Apologies if you thought I was trying to do anything other than get info..Im not really a r s e d about getting extra stars in my oprofile if thats what happens. I just genuinely needed some info.
Glad you got it sorted.

Not a problem but to keep things tidy, we try and discourage & merge multiple threads on the same subject:D

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
There's a dipstick for gearbox oil? That's a new one on me! :confused:
Only on the 6 speeds and it's tucked right down the back of the engine! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont think the 1.6 engine has a dipstick. Not 100% though. On the V6 its at the back of the engine/gearbox, slightly right of middle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts