Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find one that will do all three, have got a tom tom which will show most fixed camera's but after being nabbed by a Mobile Van in North Wales (cheers Mr Brunstrom :rant: ) need to be able to pick these up as I'm running out of points!

What's the best one to go for?.... have been looking at snoopers and road angels.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Trying to find one that will do all three, have got a tom tom which will show most fixed camera's but after being nabbed by a Mobile Van in North Wales (cheers Mr Brunstrom :rant: ) need to be able to pick these up as I'm running out of points!

What's the best one to go for?.... have been looking at snoopers and road angels.
Have you thought about obeying the speed limit ??

That is 100% effective against speed camera's ;)

Chris

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

Chris
+1 to Chris ... by the time you've detected them they will already have detected you and the letter will be in the post ...

·
Registered
733 Posts

Chris
Good if annoyingly smug advice, but from my experience, it's not quite that simple. I got flashed a couple of years ago, driving at a steady indicated 55mph in what turned out to be a 50 limit. When the notice came, they said I'd been doing 60, and since unless you can afford to employ Mr Loophole, arguing is a waste of time, I just had to pay the fine and get the points. Don't know if there's any truth in this, but I've been told since that if they say you were doing 60 in a 50, they don't have to offer the option of a speed awareness course to avoid the points. I was done at 7.30 AM on a deserted dual-carriageway on a dry bright and sunny Sunday morning, which hasn't done a lot to improve my respect for the law, clean license for 30 years as well.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I normally do this is just for guidance always good to see what's up ahead ;)
GPS ones are probably the best as long as you keep them up to date.

N

·
0 Posts
From what my US mates say, laser detectors are only
any good if you also have automatic countermeasures/jamming
which gives you the extra seconds needed to drop your speed.

Legal in the US, totally illegal in Europe. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good if annoyingly smug advice, but from my experience, it's not quite that simple. I got flashed a couple of years ago, driving at a steady indicated 55mph in what turned out to be a 50 limit. When the notice came, they said I'd been doing 60, and since unless you can afford to employ Mr Loophole, arguing is a waste of time, I just had to pay the fine and get the points. Don't know if there's any truth in this, but I've been told since that if they say you were doing 60 in a 50, they don't have to offer the option of a speed awareness course to avoid the points. I was done at 7.30 AM on a deserted dual-carriageway on a dry bright and sunny Sunday morning, which hasn't done a lot to improve my respect for the law, clean license for 30 years as well.
Mine was 66 in a 60, and I think I may have been overtaking at the time, they'd positioned their van at a wide section of the A5 which allows for overtaking - I've asked for the photographs

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Update TomTom with the locations of all the mobile scameras too, there's loads of POI files all over the internet ;)

As 156Chris say, once they've detected the laser/ radar scatter they've already nabbed you. Plus they go off all the time at radar activated automatic doors, traffic light motion sensors and strangely enough, milk lorries! and it gets on your t1ts with its constant beeping at nothing. They're not worth the money.

AFAIK, laser/ radar emitters (jammers) aren't illegal if they are for, say, remotely operating a security light as you approach your drive, or opening the garage door automatically ;) ;)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
We have the self powered Road Angel Plus in each car. They are excellent as long as you pay attention to them (unlike my wife who now has 6 points and a £270 fine for 98mph on the M4).

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's true unfortunately....Once you detect the radar it has already registered your speed. However Garage Door openers are an excellent 'jammer' and quite legal. Why do you think so many luxury cars have them fitted as standard or as an option e.g. Bentley !

I've tried the Snooper, works fine at detection, but as previously noted it keeps going off at doors, traffic lights etc, and is always too late anyway.

An updated Tom Tom or Garmin Nuvi's your best bet.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Those laser detectors are rubbish.............. If you are going over the limit............... By the time it squawks and you hit the brakes he'll have got you anyway............. and if he doesn't the truck behind you will have slammed into the back of you.

Cheers to All

Peter

·
Registered
163 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
I heard somewhere (so it must be true ;)) a jammer will throw up an error on the camera and flag your numberplate up on big brother's database, 3 of these flags and you can expect a visit from Mr Plod to verify if the jammer is actually linked to a garage door or a security light.

So if you buy a jammer, make sure you set the remotely operated security light up ... or blame the bloke who had the car before you. No idea hofficer, dunno what any of these boxes under the bonnet do, I bought it like this!

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Sorry, this link, from the same siteUK Speedtrap Guide. radar detector comparison, compare radar detector, gatso, speeding, speedtrap, gatso camera, blinder, uk speed trap, speed trap uk gives you a garage door opener that auto recognises a radar gun, sends a burst of signal that jams it for 5 secs effectively preventing a speed reading, whilst it determines if the radar it has detected belongs to your garage/drive gates.

They do therefore work !
Go on try it and tell us all how many points you got ;)

I know this for a reason ;)

It won't work FACT - however it will be able to tell you - that you have been nabbed by a radar operated gun ;) Oh and how does it work with the speed camera's that don't just use radar ? like the travelo??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts