Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
RTV sealant is affected by petrol. I've never had to use sealant on those gaskets. The gaskets usually go really hard and stick to the mating surfaces, makes it very difficult to remove them!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I did have a bit of a problem removing the old ones as like you say, they had hardened. I didn't think you used sealant as you don't put it on the inlet to head gaskets but just making sure. Thanks armoore

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well this is a PM (practical motorists) 'oldie' which has made me think a little.:DOften in the eighties whilst in the MV workshop college of FE, many a happy and constructive hour or two was spent with chaps making their own using a suitable material and a ball pein hammer? Just smeared with an HMP grease prior to installation.

Then about six years ago the 205 Pug arrived on our doorstep, and I did a top end overhaul, and you've guessed it the inlet manifold was assembled with a silicone type black sealant?

Well the workshop manual advised this method which proved fine in service? :):

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know the torque setting for the carbs? The Haynes manual only gives the setting for the single carb engines and not the twin carbs.

·
Registered
870 Posts
about LFT, which means limp fisted tight, as opposed to HFT which means ham fisted tw....tight,,,:p

which bolts / nuts is you mean mate ? the ones that hold the carb to the manifold?

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Then about six years ago the 205 Pug arrived on our doorstep, and I did a top end overhaul, and you've guessed it the inlet manifold was assembled with a silicone type black sealant?

Well the workshop manual advised this method which proved fine in service? :):
I learnt my lesson about this on my BMW R75/5 (35 years ago). I'd used black RTV on the petrol taps in an effort to stop them leaking and bits of RTV kept finding their way into the carbs.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
the ones that hold the carb to the manifold?
Yes thats the ones!

I don't know really know how you can get them torqued up away. On some of the nuts you can only do up using a spanner as there is no room for a socket.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mark, i just "nip" them up as best i can with a spanner to be honest, i have a hand selection of curved shaped spanners that helps things along too....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I also had a bad experience with RTV and fuel, which resulted in silicone "jellyfish" swimming around my fuel tank until I made a fuel-resistant net and went fishing... its a long story :lol:

However, when I brought the Nova back from the MoT last year she was running really badly, fluffing with strange whistling noises etc. I suspected a carb gasket leak (I had replaced all of them when I stripped the engine, and fitted them dry), and I found that the gaskets were leaking between the phenolic resin spacer and the manifold. The reason seemed to be the uneven surface caused by the old gasket material on the surfaces. I cleaned all the old gasket off, but used some Hylomar just to be on the safe side - engine ran a treat after that!

Lauren

·
Registered
870 Posts
also worth mentioning, be very careful with the resin spacers, they are very very hard to get if you break them !

also ..... if you grind them out with a die grinder don't breath the dust in lol i felt funny for days ! :eek:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well I'm well out of touch with repair stuff nowadays, and the only hands on approaches I make are toward the missus?

Hylomar is a good oldie gasket sealer, used on Jaguar XK SU carb setups in the '60's,(triple SU's on the 'E') with the appropriate gaskets, as per Jags recommendation?

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
also worth mentioning, be very careful with the resin spacers, they are very very hard to get if you break them !

also ..... if you grind them out with a die grinder don't breath the dust in lol i felt funny for days ! :eek:
:cheese:

that made me smile :D

i wouldn't use anything on the carb/manifold gasket side mark, just clean/dry surfaces should be fine :thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I just used one of my mums spare scouring pads and some rubber cleaner on the spacers. Came up a treat!:D

·
Registered
870 Posts
"I just used one of my mums spare scouring pads and some rubber cleaner on the spacers. Came up a treat!"

its funny how many house hold things do a nice job on cars.. fairy liquid is great for cleaning stubborn greasy things ,.. we have this stuff called star drops that is brill on dash boards!

there's gotta be " how clean is your house " tv show based on cleaning your car with vinegar mixed with shampoo or something weird like that... is it me or is the big lady a bit scary ?

also how do you extract a quote from the previous message, also why do i ramble on when i have had red wine.. also...

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
"I just used one of my mums spare scouring pads and some rubber cleaner on the spacers. Came up a treat!"

its funny how many house hold things do a nice job on cars.. fairy liquid is great for cleaning stubborn greasy things ,.. we have this stuff called star drops that is brill on dash boards!

there's gotta be " how clean is your house " tv show based on cleaning your car with vinegar mixed with shampoo or something weird like that... is it me or is the big lady a bit scary ?

also how do you extract a quote from the previous message, also why do i ramble on when i have had red wine.. also...
what like this you mean :confused:

and red wine at this hour, are you french or something :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts