Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there peeps how are you all?! Got the new car - and the garage who have serviced her for the past few years have not got any record of changing the cambelt over - basically I need to get it changed there are two that I have found - One in Brislington (Simonstone Alfa) One in Fishponds which has been recommended but Does anyone know of any others? And is there a way you can tell if the Cam belt actually even needs replacing?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
651 Posts
dont know of any garages around that area, the only way to know if the cambelt needs doing is if its gone 35,000 miles without one...............good luck

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
I would use Duncan Slade (through Alfanet, Fishponds) everytime. Top quality work, decent prices and a decent fella to boot!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one guys Ill check it out - shes booked in with a franchise dealer called Simonstone in brislington Bristol - as they are the only people who could do the cam and the variator belt all before the weekend - but next time and for servicing Im gonna try Duncan Alfanet - do they service and MOT as well?

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Duncan does services, and will take your car to a guy he trusts for MOT's.

I've heard some things about Simonstone on here... really might be worth doing a search and checking it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Simonstone are no longer a sales dealer - just a service one. I would never buy a car from them after a very bad experience of them 2 years ago.

We used to have an Alfa dealer in Melksham but that was sold to Mitsubishi UK. They still have an Alfa shield on the building suggesting they can do servicing, but according to the Alfa website they are not a service agent.

I seam to recall there was a really independent in Bristol, but I can't for the life of me remember who they are.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh well their service department was actually very good - well I mean to do:
The Cam Belt, Variator Belt, and regrease the gear **** linkages as it was sticking it cost
£633 is that a good deal or was I ripped off?

Cheers

Andy

D

·
0 Posts
Duncan Slade charges £480 for a cambelt, variator and water pump change, so yeah, you were slightly ripped off, :(

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry mate, but we did say, :lol: Did they do the water pump whilst they were at it?

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
Ahhh well their service department was actually very good - well I mean to do:
The Cam Belt, Variator Belt, and regrease the gear **** linkages as it was sticking it cost
£633 is that a good deal or was I ripped off?

Cheers

Andy
Duncan Slade charges £480 for a cambelt, variator and water pump change, so yeah, you were slightly ripped off, :(

Why do you think he was ripped off ??? They were more expensive but what are their costs ????? Just being more expensive does not in itself mean he was ripped off :rolleyes: If you found out each companies costs you 'might' find out that it was Duncan doing the ripping off :eek: You don't know enough to make that judgement. All you can say is Duncan is cheaper.

D

·
0 Posts
Nope, fair shout Gibbo, you are right mate, he wasn't 'ripped off', just paid slightly more than what Duncan would have charged him. But then he would have paid less than what an Alfa Dealer direct would have charged, that's a grand worth of work at Alfa, :eek:

So really, you weren't over charged as such, just paid a bit more than you could have, but nah, you did alright.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phew - I guess thats alright then - its so difficult finding people to service and work on Alfas and people you can trust honestly! But since that work - that car is awesome, I love em. cheers for all your help fellas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last time I took my wife's Fiat into Simonstone in Bristol to be serviced, they tried to charge me for a total of 9 hours work all told. I dropped the car off at 10am and drove it away at 3.30pm, I leave you to work it out! :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
[QUWe used to have an Alfa dealer in Melksham but that was sold to Mitsubishi UK. They still have an Alfa shield on the building suggesting they can do servicing, but according to the Alfa website they are not a service agent.OTE][/QUOTE] hi they are again a alfa service agent, used them a few months back :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Duncan Slade at AlfaNet is basically just a man with spanner with a interest / background in Alfas and Fiat, though he does other cars. He's a bit 'informal' so it depends on what you're after. Personally, I prefer someone who if he says, turn up at 2pm and I turn up at 2pm, I don't have to wait around for 40 mins whilst he services a Merc and chats with this Merc mate. He's a bit too informal for my liking but each to their own.

I'm going to try LC Motors in Newport. Shame really, because there isn't really a big indie in Bristol. Automeo is also a bit small.

D

·
0 Posts
What Mave said. Auto-meo is a dodgy rip off merchant, :lol: He goes on about Alfa's yet drives a Jap motor and the only Alfa I see him have is some old thing stuck in the garage rotting away.

I've had 'issues' with him in the past.

Duncan is VERY informal and if you are on time constraints possibly not the best bloke to go to, but if you want the job done properly without being ripped off then I do highly recommend him.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts