Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! PitStart garage in North Acton (2 minutes from autodelta) Pit Start - Self Service Garage - 020 8827 1919 is a place where, for £22 p/h (or daily rate of 80+vat) you can put your car on the ramp and work on it yourself.

I have used it and it makes any job about 200 times easier. You don't need ANY tools and they can get parts delivered as you work (should you wish). Pretty much the only tool they don't have is a welder and a spray can (not allowed for H&S reasons) but have MOST other tools you'd want (including locking tools for most cars)

They also have 4 engine cranes, 15 tall gearbox jacks, plenty of low hydraulic jacks, spring compressos, hydraulic press(for those nasty bushes!)

I am about to do a yearly membership which entitles me to pay a maximum of £20 a day everytime I want to use the ramps & all the tools. The yearly membership is £380 + VAT and it can be shared with another person.

The only downside is the fact that they charge £20 if you keep your car overnight, the good news is that parking is free just outside and they have CCTV and it is open 24h, I also do not think they charge for keeping your engine stored.

SOOOO I'm wondering if anyone wants to share??? Please email [email protected]

I'd be happy to discuss arragments, but basically I will be using it in the next 2/3 months for doing all the running gear of my GTV and sealant and then sporadically over the next year.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Great post, thank you!

A colleague at work told me that they have this system in Sweden and I've been wondering if it would come to the UK ever since. I think it is a brilliant idea, if I had a major job to do, then I'd consider travelling up from Brighton to use it.

Do you know if it is available in any other places in the UK?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bloody brill, I spotted this place while driving home from work and thought about it myself.
Well then! Just gimme a call(07810341037 or mail me) and we can split the cost 65/35 my way (That's: I pay £296.4 and you pay £159.6).! Then just pay £20 a pop when you go....but you can do stuff 10X quicker!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great post, thank you!

A colleague at work told me that they have this system in Sweden and I've been wondering if it would come to the UK ever since. I think it is a brilliant idea, if I had a major job to do, then I'd consider travelling up from Brighton to use it.

Do you know if it is available in any other places in the UK?
I believe that they used to have a place up noorf but no longer do. It must be an insurance nightmare!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It really is a no brainer. I had been advised by my once trusted Indy in Bradford there was some corrosion on the floor of the 147 and it would need seeing to. When it was in for the MOT I asked them how much to sort it, they said £250! I politely declined and thought I'd do the job myself. Armed with a can of Kurust and 2 of Waxoyl I got the car up on the Rent-a Ramp, ground off some very superficial corrosion and sprayed it with Kurust. Next day I went back after it had cured and coated it with Waxoyl. I could have done the job in less than 1 hour had the Kurust not needed to cure for 24 hours. Total cost £20 ramp rental (2 hours) and £30 materials.
Had I done the job on my drive on axle stands it would have been a right pain and possibly dangerous too!

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts