Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just about to renew the insurance on the Spider, So far the insurance has been on the driveway, but the Spider now spends its time in the garage overnight at least most of the time. I want to know, if when renewing the insurance I said the car is kept in the garage, if I did have a claim and the car ended up out side (while on holiday or the odd night) am I going to have a problem? I just don't want to cause myself a problem if the worst did happen? Any experiences?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Are you in a high crime area, or a tree or house part likely to fall on the car? If not, by far the highest likelyhood is a car accident where it won't matter

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
My favourite car (not the Spider I'm afraid) is kept in the garage. It would be financial stupidity to not put it in the garage from an insurance stance.
It's a modern classic policy and as such if my car is within a certain distance from my home address (a mile I think) then it has to be in my garage. Maybe it is 'a' garage I don't quite know.

Check the policy.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
I think the wording of the question is "where is the vehicle normally kept overnight". Obviously if you are on holiday you can't be expected to put it in a garage and if you have to leave it out on the odd night because there is no room in the garage then that would probably be acceptable. If you made a habit of leaving it out then the insurer could reasonable claim you made false representations when taking out the insurance and might invalidate the claim.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the wording of the question is "where is the vehicle normally kept overnight". Obviously if you are on holiday you can't be expected to put it in a garage and if you have to leave it out on the odd night because there is no room in the garage then that would probably be acceptable. If you made a habit of leaving it out then the insurer could reasonable claim you made false representations when taking out the insurance and might invalidate the claim.
Yes, this was the question. The worry I have is if it was insured for being garaged and happened to be left outside whether the claim would be void? I know its a massive if and the car is genuinely 99% of the time kept overnight (and most of the week) in the garage, but I like to be covered 100% of the time.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Why can't you keep it in the garage at all times? If it's cheaper on insurance that way, I would do it. That, and it keeps the chances of anything bad happening to it down to a bare minimum.
Not to mention probably better condition if kept dry.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In an ideal world, yes, the car would be kept in the garage at all times, but I do get caught out in the rain, living in the uk. When this happens I'm told the worst thing to do is put a wet car in the garage, hence me waiting a day with dry weather to dry not only the bodywork but the underside of the car also. I have decided to insure the car as being on the driveway just in case of future problems. I also thought that keeping the car insured as in the garage would have given more benefit as far as lower insurance premium than £4! Thanks for the posts.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
In an ideal world, yes, the car would be kept in the garage at all times, but I do get caught out in the rain, living in the uk. When this happens I'm told the worst thing to do is put a wet car in the garage, hence me waiting a day with dry weather to dry not only the bodywork but the underside of the car also. I have decided to insure the car as being on the driveway just in case of future problems. I also thought that keeping the car insured as in the garage would have given more benefit as far as lower insurance premium than £4! Thanks for the posts.
That's a fair point. I have a dehumidifier and fan heater in the garage for that purpose. Usually the engine is quite warm when it goes in and that heats the garage remarkably quick.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
TonyGr is absolutely right. I asked my insurance company about this, and they said it was just about where it was usually kept.

There's no way they could legally refuse a claim simply because you'd gone on holiday or left the car outside your mistress's house overnight. And that fact is reflected in the tiny difference in premium.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's no way they could legally refuse a claim simply because you'd gone on holiday or left the car outside your mistress's house overnight. And that fact is reflected in the tiny difference in premium.
Shhh, she wasn't supposed to know!:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts