Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've just managed to bag myself a rather nice 2004 156 2.4 JTDm Sportwagon. Whilst I'm not afraid of a set of spanners this is the family daily driver and I don't think the Wife and Daughter would thank me for attempting a cam belt change.

So I'm looking for a good garage in the local area. I've heard mixed reviews about Optima in Wootten Bassett, some good things about a guy named Duncan in Bristol, but I'm a bit lost...

So are there any good garages (preferably indie ones) in the Swindon area?

Thanks!
:)

L

·
0 Posts
Those are the two I would have mentioned to you, especially Duncan, he dies all the work on my car, there is another guy, but you will need to pm Tony for that one ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are the two I would have mentioned to you, especially Duncan, he dies all the work on my car, there is another guy, but you will need to pm Tony for that one ;)
Cheers Lisknik,
PMing Tony for a secret contact, I'm either about to join the hidden garages club in the SW or ask a complete stranger for a phone number ;)

Browsing around it looks like A for Alfa in Aylesbury has a good rep as well. Duncan is closer though.

I'll PM Tony (which Tony?), and give Duncan a call.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Cheers Lisknik,
PMing Tony for a secret contact, I'm either about to join the hidden garages club in the SW or ask a complete stranger for a phone number ;)

Browsing around it looks like A for Alfa in Aylesbury has a good rep as well. Duncan is closer though.

I'll PM Tony (which Tony?), and give Duncan a call.

Thanks,
This Tony..... :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah Hi Tony :)

I do not seem to be able to PM you through the forum, is there another way to get in contact with you? Or are you willing to share the info on here?
Cheers,

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
AHM near Blackbush would be my recommendation and a very high one though for something routine like belt change Optima would probably be OK and cheapest. My experience of Optima is mixed and I think he tries to keep you on the road as cheaply as possible only doing things when absolutely essential rather than first signs of wear and that isn't what everyone wants.

The only downside with AHM is that it is at the end of a long lane and miles from anywhere so you probably need someone following in another car. Not sure if he (Adie) does a loan car.

My ultimate recommendation: take it to AHM and get EGR delete and remap at the same time. You will not think it is the same car. The 156 with mapped 2.4 is an amazing almost hooligan car.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
AHM near Blackbush would be my recommendation and a very high one though for something routine like belt change Optima would probably be OK and cheapest. My experience of Optima is mixed and I think he tries to keep you on the road as cheaply as possible only doing things when absolutely essential rather than first signs of wear and that isn't what everyone wants.

The only downside with AHM is that it is at the end of a long lane and miles from anywhere so you probably need someone following in another car. Not sure if he (Adie) does a loan car.

My ultimate recommendation: take it to AHM and get EGR delete and remap at the same time. You will not think it is the same car. The 156 with mapped 2.4 is an amazing almost hooligan car.
Tell me about it,I had a Q2 fitted to mine,with koni Fsds,Bmc cda and remap,so its nicknamed "Pepparami".:thumbs:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers all :)

I've got her booked in at one place, I'd not considered upgrading her, maybe next time... its tempting though!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Your visitor has just poped round for a brew and mentioned the bonus prize you got this evening... Cruise control working again, you wont go wrong now you have this contact and what ever you do, don't remap a 20V, driveshafts aren't cheap and you'll be needing a set every 2 years if you do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your visitor has just poped round for a brew and mentioned the bonus prize you got this evening... Cruise control working again, you wont go wrong now you have this contact and what ever you do, don't remap a 20V, driveshafts aren't cheap and you'll be needing a set every 2 years if you do.
Yeah, I'm impressed that he was able to pop over, bleed the clutch, fix the clutch switch, fix cruise control, fix the side light warning bulb AND set the correct date and time on the display!

She's booked in for some work on the 16th, looking forward to it!:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts