Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a repeated issue with leaving our garage door open overnight. Luckily we're in a quiet cul-de-sac so it's never resulted in anything being stolen, but I'd still rather stop it happening.

I'm thinking that if I could get a small light by the front door which lights up when the garage door is open, this would be a very good way to ensuring that it's not forgotten in future.

Does a product exist which would do this? I'm struggling to think of a good search term so Google isn't helping so much currently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it open as not closed or open as unlocked..
You could get a remote controller switch, for a few bucks, or quids if you like, a little magnetic two-part transmitter, when you separate them it sends an 'on signal, when you reunite them it sends out an 'off'
Then you'd put a receiver swhere where it makes sense like a light switch indoors
The dutch call it kaku (the cheap version), i am sure theres something over the channel also available

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers, that's the kind of thing I'm after for sure. That might give me some good clues for my searching. (And it is open as in gaping wide open. I have an electric door, with the switch for it in the house. Sometimes I go back into the house and forget to press the button.)

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Burglar alarms use simple magnetic contacts to complete the wiring circuit but that would require wiring from the garage to where ever you want the indicator light.

As an alternative, if your door is a Hormann and according to the catalogue I have, with special equipment it is possible to display the door position using your smart phone or tablet. It might be worth making enquires of the manufacturer or local agent for your make of door.

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I can find wireless door sensors which send a signal when the door is open. I can even find smart ones which will put a notification up on your phone.

But I don't want to know when it opens. I want to know when it's still open when I go to bed! So I need a way of changing that output into a light remaining lit for all the time it's open.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Do the wireless ones not keep sending a signal until the door is closed? Doesn't the notification on your phone remain until cancelled?

Ah but that means getting into a routine of checking the phone at bedtime which is no different than going out and checking the door.

As a completely different approach. Since the problem seems to be remembering to shut the door, how about a large notice on the house door (the one you go in by from the garage) which reads "Have I shut the Garage Door?"

Low tech often works better than high tech

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not being cheeky here....but could you not just check before you go to bed?

That old "bedtime routine".....
I could indeed check before I go to bed. Great idea.

Man, if only there were something to remind me to do so... maybe some sort of telltale light by the front door which I would pass when I go to bed. That'd remind me to check!

I must start a thread and see if anyone can think of a way of achieving such a thing. Thanks for the tip Ronan!

;) :p

Disclaimer: That was a needlessly sarcastic response. But I've asked this same question elsewhere, and a guy there is being a dipstick which has led to frustration on my part. :eek:

The whole point is that I am forgetting both to close it in the first place, and to check that it's closed. I need a reminder - one that is easily noticed, and doesn't require a preliminary action from me (such as checking a phone) to access it. Because if it requires an action from me, then I'll just forget that too!

A sign is sort of a good idea. Except it'd look terrible in our hallway or on our front door, and because it's not 'active', I'd soon stop paying attention to it anyway.

I'm sure if somewhere like Tandy still existed, this'd be easy as pie. You need a sensor which sends a signal, and a receiver which lights an LED if it's receiving said signal. Not rocket science.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I can find wireless door sensors which send a signal when the door is open. I can even find smart ones which will put a notification up on your phone.

But I don't want to know when it opens. I want to know when it's still open when I go to bed! So I need a way of changing that output into a light remaining lit for all the time it's open.
Thats what these wireless guys do.
Send an on signal when door goes open,
Send off signal when it closes.
I.e. If you put that onto a light switch, it stays on until you clse the door.

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't see any receiver listed on their website though - only transmitters.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I could indeed check before I go to bed. Great idea.

Man, if only there were something to remind me to do so... maybe some sort of telltale light by the front door which I would pass when I go to bed. That'd remind me to check!

I must start a thread and see if anyone can think of a way of achieving such a thing. Thanks for the tip Ronan!

;) :p

Disclaimer: That was a needlessly sarcastic response. But I've asked this same question elsewhere, and a guy there is being a dipstick which has led to frustration on my part. :eek:

The whole point is that I am forgetting both to close it in the first place, and to check that it's closed. I need a reminder - one that is easily noticed, and doesn't require a preliminary action from me (such as checking a phone) to access it. Because if it requires an action from me, then I'll just forget that too!

A sign is sort of a good idea. Except it'd look terrible in our hallway or on our front door, and because it's not 'active', I'd soon stop paying attention to it anyway.

I'm sure if somewhere like Tandy still existed, this'd be easy as pie. You need a sensor which sends a signal, and a receiver which lights an LED if it's receiving said signal. Not rocket science.
What about just setting your phone alarm to go off at bedtime ?

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't always go to bed at the same time. But nice idea.

·
Registered
32,261 Posts
A note on the back of the door visible as you leave the house or on your keys to remind you to close the door?

·
Super Moderator
44,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Bazza’s problem here is that he does not know what to look for on’t tinternet as he’s not sure what it’s called.

I have checked for you and according to Wikipedia you need an Idiot light

Your welcome.
Thank you?

I preferred 'telltale'. :(

·
Registered
32,261 Posts
Last week my wife noticed I’d gone out cycling and left the garage door open. Scarily absent minded. Luckily she noticed before somebody saw it and went off with the fleet.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts