Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, thats it.

5 years in and I have had enough. We have bought a brand new Mini Cooper S and the Brera has to go. See below...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Alfa...208689?hash=item2a5fb33db1:g:0SIAAOSw5dNWm3I-

and here

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=24569

I have just spent 6 weekends pulling the engine, fixing the subframe and swapping the transfer box and it has about killed me off.

If anybody wants her, she runs well now, makes no noises that she shouldn't and should go on for years and years with the usual TLC.

Cheers.

mark.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Good luck with the sale. It's one fine looking Brera. I've got my GT 3.2 up for sale in nottingham as well so that is two great looking V6's that could potentially be leaving the city :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
nice car good luck dude, it's a perfect chance to those who looking for a special machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's a reasonable question to ask, and is a normal question when looking to purchase any car.
Joke mate. Hence the wink at the end ;-)

4WD V6 has abysmal MPG. I should know since I drive one.

Oh, and if you want to know a model's MPG, best to ask someone other than the prospective seller. With the best will in the world they are not objective.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
If you have to ask then it's not the car for you ;-)
The petrolheads amongst us aren't as obsessed with mpg, we just accept it.
A small compromise for driving beautiful cars.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Speak for yourself!! :D That's one of the main reasons I own a tractor. A compromise to a small extent with the 2.4.

Reactions: Philjay50

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I only asked because I've had 2.2 and the 2.4 diesel Brera's in the past and would guess I got around 24 and 30 respectively from them..

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Speak for yourself!! :D That's one of the main reasons I own a tractor. A compromise to a small extent with the 2.4.
I didn't mention the DERV brigade. I think it's accepted that the majority are bean counters :wink:

Reactions: fflump and MalcQV

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
With Alfa's it's pot luck you don't get a problem car, your Alfa Brera has been a problem car. Timing chain 3 Grand to fix, leaking engine seals, transfer box issues too all with little miles on the car also & really not a lot of miles have been covered for a ten year old car, but grands have been needed to put it right. I would expect that from a car that had it neck rung, or one that had more than 100k put on the clock. It's price to sell but I think your glad to see it drive off into the sun set with a new owner more than anything, more of a nightmare than a dream car sorry to say. What's next to go I'd be thinking, could live with that on the back of my mined every time I drove it

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Technically, the car belongs to my wife, however, I talked her into buying it. She has never liked it! It is too heavy for her round town and the costs of running have been steep. Aside from the repairs, road tax is now over £500 and you are lucky to get 20mpg, average. on a run it will do 30+ but breath on the loud pedal and she guzzles the fuel. she just went out and bought a Mini Cooper S and I am left to sell the car. It is priced to sell, especially with all of the recent work. Some enthusiast will love her.

·
Registered
2020, Giulia Veloce, Silverstone Grey and Black Leather
392 Posts
Well, thats it.

5 years in and I have had enough. We have bought a brand new Mini Cooper S and the Brera has to go. See below...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Alfa...208689?hash=item2a5fb33db1:g:0SIAAOSw5dNWm3I-

and here

Alfa Romeo Classifieds - Auctions - 2006 Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2 SV Q4 Black - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

I have just spent 6 weekends pulling the engine, fixing the subframe and swapping the transfer box and it has about killed me off.

If anybody wants her, she runs well now, makes no noises that she shouldn't and should go on for years and years with the usual TLC.

Cheers.

mark.
Hi
My wife has the latest mini cooper - its really good to drive. A 1.5 litre twin turbo, three cylinder (petrol).
O-60 in about 7.8- the Cooper S must fly. I am Alfa through and through, but the new mini is great to drive, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.:thumbup:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, its a good car alright. the 2.0 turbo kicks out 185bhp and in sport mode it is pretty snappy. I too love my Alfa and will be sorry to see her go. there is a chance that I might keep her if I don't get a sensible offer. I also have a 2003 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 SRi that I might try to sell instead.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sell the Astra!!!
The Brera is a future classic and is unlikely to dip below the price you advertise unless its a basket case.
Store it of use as a weekend car and it will be cheap motoring as virtually no depreciation. My brand new Giuletta cost me £7k in depreciation in 11 months, think of what I could have bought with that (sadly the Mini will drop a lot too).
I bought a GTV for £800, oily hands every night and my broadband wiped out by research and parts buying....but I love it.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Hell yes, you never mentioned euro boredom box. Sell the bloomin Vauxhall snooze if it gives you what you need :). Keep the Brera

·
Registered
37,861 Posts
If you had seen how many threads Mark had posted for crappy wipers, stretched timing chains and complete engine removals you'd know why he's keeping the Astra. :lol: I think he re-did all of the top end of the Astra engine in a weekend, not the 6 weeks he had it out of the Brera.

TBH I was tempted with the idea as a replacement for the GTA, but the £500 VED was the final nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sell the Astra!!!
The Brera is a future classic and is unlikely to dip below the price you advertise unless its a basket case.
Store it of use as a weekend car and it will be cheap motoring as virtually no depreciation. My brand new Giuletta cost me £7k in depreciation in 11 months, think of what I could have bought with that (sadly the Mini will drop a lot too).
I bought a GTV for £800, oily hands every night and my broadband wiped out by research and parts buying....but I love it.
My Brera did around 23mpg but I did use the performance often and the roads in the Highlands do not encourage sedate driving.
Out of curiosity We Buy Any Car valued it and they keep emailing me a new valuation - which keeps on INCREASING!

As with your G, their offer for my GQV shows similar depreciation, not that I plan on parting with it but I keep thinking about another Brera if it wasn't for the subframe and chains, but being realistic, I'll never buy another.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts