Alfa Romeo Forum banner

gaitors to match 156 recaro wanted...

976 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mr-mac 
G
#1 ·
Does anyone know of gearstick and handbrake gaitors that are a particularly good match for the leather recaro 156 seats that are a very dark charcoal (almost black).

Be cool if there was a good quality product that was a nice quality leather with red stitching to match the seats.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had done this and knew of a good option that looks great ;) pic of products in place would be cool...

Or do I look for an 02 leather one (as 03 seem to be a different material) and re-stitch in red myself?

Cheers

John

#2 ·
Firstly, there are no leather gaiters installed from factory on any 147/156/GT except the GTA ones, but those are made from GTA seats leather and look a bit different and also the gear lever gaiter is too short for all other cars because the GTA gear levers are shorter.
Secondly, re-stitching is not a very good idea because it's impossible to restitch through the original holes in the leather and those holes will be visible.
Getting custom ones made is probably the answer, but matching leather color and texture is going to be difficult. Also, keep in mind that your original gaiters will be used as templates so you will not be able to use them anymore.

PS. Also, there are 2 colors of TI type seats leather on the 156. The ones from 2002 to late 2003, which came with some sports package, as there was no TI version at the time, are as you describe them, dark grey. From late 2003, when the facelift was introduced along with the TI version, the sets were covered in black leather, much darker and a bit glossier than the previous version.
Not to mention the textile ones from the pre-facelifted interior ;)

G
#3 ·
It's the very dark charcoal, almost black, from 2002 car...

The gaiter round handbrake (facelift interior) was leather and so was gearstick one but it was a sele but assume some 02 facelift interior did have leather gaitors.

I used to stitch up sails and stuff so with a proper needle it would be easy enough to stitch something into original holes if I unpicked a section at a time.

Could maybe just get my mum to do a double line of stitching up centre line of both in thread that matches seats (if I can find 02 factory leather ones - might call and at least get handbrake one).

Will see what I can find. Also after some local facelift door cards as the 02 ones are slightly diff texture to dash in 03> ones (even if just swap inserts onto them).

John

#5 ·
Only the GTAs had proper leather gaitors, all other models used a fake leather.. Actually I'm not sure about the Ti, maybe they got the GTA gaitors as they also got the GTA darkened interior bits.

G
#6 ·
Well this was a selespeed jts not a ti so seats were recaro sportpack and both handbrake and sele gearstick had real leather gaiters and they looked factory, sure they were actually.

Those ebay ones look alright wasn't sure what quality would be like.

Will have a think about options :)

Maybe find someone with a wrecked recaro seat or a rear seat that I can cut out undamaged bits from to make some up :)

G
#8 ·
The leather on the 156 gaiters was thick, think it could be done but you may be right. The storage pockets on back are soft enough I think :)

I felt the handbrake leather gaiter and it felt like real deal - usually spot fake leather quite easily.

Anyway will see what I can come up with or if anyone else with same seats has a good match

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.