Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G2 Start/stop - checking failsafe

I have a 15 plate G 2.0JTDM2 and have observed the following:

when coming to a stop at lights/traffic , engage neutral lift of clutch - ASS kicks in and stops engine - Good!
Dip the clutch when you want to pull off and the engine starts again - good!
if sat for a while (especially when headlights are on) the car will self-start after a few minutes to prevent battery drain - Understandable.

all good so far ..

now the other day I had to pop into the doctors to drop off a prescription. Pulled the G up in the car park and ASS killed the engine before I did. I got out of the G, did what I needed to do, and as I was walking back to my G it self-started without anyone in it. This is a bit disconcerting the first time you witness it!

It's done this a few times since. So today I wondered - what if Dad gets out of the car to perform a similar errand, leaving a small child in the car. Can that child knock the car into gear and leave the ASS active? It looks rather disturbingly like the answer to that question is 'yes'.

I've not tested this right through as I don't want to risk damage to the car from it potentially trying to start itself in gear (or if it's successful in doing so then propelling itself forward into an immovable - or worse - living object!) but I have determined the following:

You can let the G ASS Stop and get out of the drivers door.
close the door
get into the passenger door
knock the G into gear
then quickly return to the drivers seat and dip the clutch - it will Start!

So I'm kind of assuming if a clutch dip will still activate the restart, the so will a battery-saving one!

On our FIAT 500L if you open the driver door while in ASS 'Stop' mode it gives an audible warning and tells you that ASS has been cancelled.

Thinking about contacting Alfa about this but thought I'd check here to see if others had observed similar or if it's just an issue with my G.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
I would understand if the ignition was keyless that this could cause problems , but are you saying you leave the car with the key in it?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I would understand if the ignition was keyless that this could cause problems , but are you saying you leave the car with the key in it?
That was my thought. I know that if I pull up, stop/start kicks in and I can get out without it cancelling stop/start - unlike the earlier versions that didn't do this. But you have to have the key in the ignition and the engine running.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It shouldn't restart as its in gear, yes you pressed the clutch but if you hadn't then I doubt it would have started.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On occasions yes - you might consider that reckless of me but to be honest that's irrelevant . It's the fact that it's possible to do that is the issue. I live in a small village in a rural area. Naturally I wouldn't leave the key in the car in such circumstances in a larger town or city. I notice it mostly when having to get out of the car to open gates etc. The FIAT every time warns that the ASS has been cancelled. The Alfa keeps it active

·
Registered
36,768 Posts
Not accusing you of recklessness but it's just a reflex action for me to take the key with me ,even though one of our other cars is keyless which does get you out of the habit potentially!

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
On occasions yes - you might consider that reckless of me but to be honest that's irrelevant . It's the fact that it's possible to do that is the issue. I live in a small village in a rural area. Naturally I wouldn't leave the key in the car in such circumstances in a larger town or city. I notice it mostly when having to get out of the car to open gates etc. The FIAT every time warns that the ASS has been cancelled. The Alfa keeps it active
if your seatbelt is removed, the ASS should be diabled. Is the seatbelt warning working?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
if your seatbelt is removed, the ASS should be diabled. Is the seatbelt warning working?
The seatbelt warning works its just that if stop/start engages, you can take the safety belt off and get out of the car. You can then get back in, put your safety belt on, press the clutch and the engine will start up again. It didn't do this on series 0 Giuliettas but it seems to on series 1. It's great if you're a delivery driver...or perhaps it isn't......

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The seatbelt warning works its just that if stop/start engages, you can take the safety belt off and get out of the car. You can then get back in, put your safety belt on, press the clutch and the engine will start up again. It didn't do this on series 0 Giuliettas but it seems to on series 1. It's great if you're a delivery driver...or perhaps it isn't......
Glad you mentioned this Andy, as mine works fine (forced to start car manually the moment your seat belt is removed)

Other passengers can get into the car though without S/S being deactivated which is quite handy for pick-ups (as long as you don't leave the drivers seat to open the boot etc)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
But the car shouldn't start again without any driver intervention (like pressing the clutch), surely.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it does. You can try this quite easily. Put the headlights on and get the G warmed up. Drive round the block and pull up on a flat surface in neutral so ASS activates. Then while the engine is still stopped under ASS get our of the car and close the door. After about 5 minutes the engine will spontaneously restart. At least that's what happens on mine.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
PS. If you are going to try this please make sure the car is left in neutral!
How about getting back into the car and nudging the gear lever into 1st (assuming nothing parked in front!!).

I suspect the neutral sensor will stop it from starting.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Yes it does. You can try this quite easily. Put the headlights on and get the G warmed up. Drive round the block and pull up on a flat surface in neutral so ASS activates. Then while the engine is still stopped under ASS get our of the car and close the door. After about 5 minutes the engine will spontaneously restart. At least that's what happens on mine.
mines a 2013 and a tct. start stop works totally different on mine.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
my car stops the whole ass sequence when you take off the seat belt and open the door, must admit at which point it stops I'm not sure?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
I wonder if its triggered by the passenger door because it hasn't been converted for RHD?? I'll have to try that.....

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Stop start should automatically disable when the drivers door is opened. I have plenty of experience with this from having to restart on the key when having to open gates etc.

It will not restart when in gear. Alfa are not that stupid.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts