Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the kit fitted yesterday. Many many thanks to Jason77 for helping do it.

The car hasn't dropped the 40mm stated on the box, maybe it'll get lower, who knows.
The ride and handling can now be described as "tight". I also did the front wishbones at the same time. 3 of the 4 shocks I removed had no rebound pressure so I'm surprised my car handled as well as it did.
Anyway, can't fault the kit and it looks very good with blue struts and red springs.

Even if it turns out to be no better than new standard suspension, it was certainly a lot cheaper. About £280 inc Vat for 4 shocks and 4 springs.

If you need new suspension I would consider this kit. On my "test" around the back roads of Knockhill Race Circuit, the car seemed very stable and didn't bottom out when I flew over crests. The back end "wiggley wiggley" I suffered from seems to have gone. This is probably because the rear shocks I took off were cream-crackered.

The steering feels very direct now too, especially at higher speeds.

So my verdict is definately worth the money. Can't really do a fair comparison to standard as my old suspension was really broken.

Marlon

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cool! Sexy Suspenders is on my long term wish list but my V6 barst' always wears something else out before I can get round to buying some.

Did you get them from the AO shop? I only ask as suspension is the one area where Tarquini hasn't needed any attention, so it's only a matter of time. What about the wishbones?

Sounds like a job for the Xmas break, if my credit cards can stand it.

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the suspension through AO. It took about 6 weeks to arrive as it is made to order I think. I got the wishbones through AO too. Think they were about £50 each. Can't remember the exact price. Alfashop in Norwich (I think they are) also do Wishys and other stuff cheaper than other places I've found.

M

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the G&M kit compare with Yellow konis and eibach or standard Shock and eibach springs has anyone done a comparative test?
Also how low did it go?
What is your sump clearance on level ground?
Also (I know this is getting boring!) what is your sill clearance at the mid point?
FGN

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car seems to have dropped about 25mm. I'm at work so can't do any measuring. Had no problems getting over the speed humps into my work so clearance must be OK.

Marlon

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fitted Eibachs a couple of months ago (lowered the car about 35mm) and in general no problem with speed humps, but was caught out by one which managed to shave the cooling fins on the sump. So it's a case of be wary of the humps...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I slow down to almost standstill for humps anyway.

M

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marlon, springs will probibilly settle out lower after some time, try riding around with a couple of bags of cement in boot 2 break them in :D
did U check ar bar bushes while up in air mine passed MOT but are well shagged, think the're made out of chocolate. think someone mentioned can get drop links £10 ea? , dont know if powerflex do ar bushes seperate or as a kit?, will try + find out.
keep us posted on views on g+m's as they settle in as could go down that route me'self will pull rear shox off mine as guide as 2 how worn mine are.
p.s. my kitten ran away from home also, see seperate post ,i realy miss her......not.
.......narlo...... :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the drop links aswell (well one of them, the other was done a few months ago). My suspension at the front is all shiny and new. Yeah they are about £10 each from Alfa.

Will keep everyone updated about the suspension.

M

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I was seeing the Spring KIT on AO, but I have various dudes... :

1º) I need change my shock absorvers? they are good.

2º) The Spring sets include the 4 springs?

Thanks!!

I want my car kissing the road :p

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spring kit will be 4 springs.
The shockers with the kit seem fine but as I say, my original shockers were knackered so anything is an improvement. You can use the spring kit on your original shockers if you like.
BTW, the kit doesn't lower the car that much, or at least it hasn't on mine which is probably a good thing seeing as I have a front splitter.

M

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:eek:

When I have more money (one or two weeks :D ), I'll buy the spring kit!.

My brother pay 600€ :eek: on year 2000, for a Full suspension KIT, Selex shockers and Sparco Springs, the car down about 30mm, very stable and very pretty.

I too have a front spoiler, we kiss the road :D

PD: In spain, the roads are very very bad, and you can found cats, dogs, cows, stones and CRATERS! :mad: . Down your car is a mad action... but... I'm mad!!

Thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well you guys were right. The car has settled a bit now. It isn't too low but has a really mean stance. I've noticed the ride has become a little firmer too over the miles :confused:
Another thing I've noticed is the camber on the front wheels is mental !!!!! The rears have a slight camber which always looked good, but the fronts look like the car is doing the splits (well sort of). I'll keep an eye on the inside tyre wear from now on. Bring on the understeer :(

Marlon

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It may not be that bad Marlon, remember the Tourers have silly amounts of camber too and they seem to handle ok wink

wrinx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts