Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be careful whan using second hand ECU Immobiliser and Key chips on later 155's I was kindly sold a set by Thompatruck and to his credit the theory should and has in the past worked. But alfa in their wisdom have changed it so the Immobiliser ECU and Keychip all ask the car what its Chassis number is and if it doesn't match the thing wont start. Mind you the cost of overhauling the original does't have to be that expensive so long as you stay away from Bosch and the main agent. I dont know if it works with Motronics with the last 4 numbers being 4*** but if it is 9*** and not listed in the part numbers designated for the 155 then your in my boat and its a recon or new box job. All of us who know Alfa's history (all of us in other words) will know how good they are with wires, chips and such like so why the Hell is it full of technology that Ford hae only just cught up with on the new Duratech Engine. It is however nice to know that if someone does take a liking to it they wont get too far....Even if it is to the cost of fixing the damn thing

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting, I know many people ahve got around the keycode system on older and newer cars :confused:

wrinx

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cossiekiller said:
But alfa in their wisdom have changed it so the Immobiliser ECU and Keychip all ask the car what its Chassis number is and if it doesn't match the thing wont start.
More I think about this the more I don't understand it. If you are replacing the ECU, code box and key's chip there is nothing left to give any more information.

This is what a dealer would do with a new system....so what happened?

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm with Wrinx, i don't understand what it's reading to get the chassis number of all things?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yeh, I'm in agreement too.
If someone is really stuck with security, I believe that Squadra and the ECU Doctor can both, ahem, remove the security imobiliser.
It's always just a matter of time before some bright spark catches up with the latest systems. :lol:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Sorry it didn't work, but again I agree with the boys, when I had this problem I asked Lyles and they mentioned nothing about this, My '97 1.8 16v has the normal system and I don't even understand how it could work? All the info is stored on the ecu, code box and key chips, change the lot and it should simply work :confused: :confused: :confused:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may just be mine that is effected. I am learning very quickly that mine is full of one-offs and bodges. The clutch was a sod to fit The ECU part number is not recognised by Alfa and a simple thing like a oil change last weekend has had the thing off the road all week. I knew the sump plug had been re-tapped before because I have the invoice from the garage who did it but what I did'nt know is they did it so poorly that it broke all the threads on the way in. My lifesaver Dad can fix it. He even knows someone hoe can make a bespoke bolt to go in it. The oil was like treacle as well, Not nice. I will I promise get around to tuning the thing one of these days but if current form persists I can see it comming of the road and having a breaker parked next to it all the bits that break during the stripdown will be replaced on the way back up. At least I will know its all perfect that way. Bringing myself back from a tangent Blue Line Taxi's in Newastle (yes your read it write) sorted the old one for me and didn't charge the earth either. According to him it should have worked but there is another link in the chain but wouldnt say what. Does anyone know how to fix a sticky Drivers leccy window. I think it might be the switch because it clicks like a clock for 30 seconds while I oust it upwards. Down is fine (sods law), is it the switch or something more sinister and expensive.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Probably the window regulator (motor). They're rather feeble in the 155. You can help it by making sure the runners are lubed and slippy but there's not much you can do with the motor itself.

Ralf S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts