Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

My Bella had recently developed a resonating metallic rattle that sounded like it was coming from the RHS of the engine bay. It would appear most noticably during fast idle when she was cold and decelerating throuh the Rev range of 1500 to 1300 rpm.

After a bit of exploration underneath I found that the bracket holding the exhaust coming from the rear bank (closest to the firewall) onto the transfer case had sheered off. Hitting the exhaust makes the flexi-joint shake like a maraca.
Running the car is much worse!

https://youtu.be/ZsbUWOd32ZA

Heading to the exhaust shop tomorrow to have things welded back up and re-enforced!

Thankfully it wasn't something more expensive and you can see it without having to remove the splash shield.

Hope this helps someone else with this problem!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hi Everyone!

My Bella had recently developed a resonating metallic rattle that sounded like it was coming from the RHS of the engine bay. It would appear most noticably during fast idle when she was cold and decelerating throuh the Rev range of 1500 to 1300 rpm.

After a bit of exploration underneath I found that the bracket holding the exhaust coming from the rear bank (closest to the firewall) onto the transfer case had sheered off. Hitting the exhaust makes the flexi-joint shake like a maraca.
Running the car is much worse!

https://youtu.be/ZsbUWOd32ZA

Heading to the exhaust shop tomorrow to have things welded back up and re-enforced!

Thankfully it wasn't something more expensive and you can see it without having to remove the splash shield.

Hope this helps someone else with this problem!
What a coincidence!
My new (to me) Brera has a similar metallic rattle. I suspected it was an exhaust issue so hopefully my friendly mechanic can sort it when it's up on the ramp tomorrow!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a coincidence!
My new (to me) Brera has a similar metallic rattle. I suspected it was an exhaust issue so hopefully my friendly mechanic can sort it when it's up on the ramp tomorrow!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Haha, hopefully!

It's a quick fix with a tack weld, though it seems that Alfa made the exhaust bracket there a temporary solution :/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts