Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone just thought I would put this out there to see people's opinion of Alfa GT being fwd? Being a performance car I always wondered why they are fwd an not rwd like BMW , mercs and other performance cars such as ferraris and Porsche. I know in Icey or snowy conditions fwd grips better but what are the other if any advantages of fwd rather than rwd.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
First of all, the GT is a 3-door hatchback. You can't call it a "performance car" and lump it in with Ferrari & Porsche...!!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:cheese::cheese:I don't want woman driving my Alfa haha I didn't mean to put it in the super car category was just wondering the advantages and disadvantages of them both, also mine is a 3.2 v6 so it is a performance car don't burst my Alfa bubble:lol:

K

·
0 Posts
cost. purely and simply, it's cheaper and simpler to make a fwd car when all the rest of your range is.

ok the 8C isn't, but that's not exactly an alfa

·
Registered
180 Posts
i have owned plenty of rear wheel drive cars especially lotus esprits,,the engine on these are mid and the gearbox is at the back,,most rear wheel powerfull cars are very tail happy especially when the turbo kicks in:eek:

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
cost. purely and simply, it's cheaper and simpler to make a fwd car when all the rest of your range is.

ok the 8C isn't, but that's not exactly an alfa
Spot on, actually fwd is cheaper to make full stop, making cars with different wheelbases and floorpans etc all makes it easier and cheaper to use a common parts bin. Also it provides more cabin space in the car, which most people prefer.
To be honest, in a "normal" car the handling isnt something people really care (or know) about, usually quoting some elderly motoring journo to back up how well their new car handles.

I was brought up on rwd cars and tbh much much prefer them, far more control imho, and you can slide em at will, but my 156 was the nicest driving fwd I have ever been in, driven etc - every other fwd is just a compromise to me. But I'd sure like a spin in a 3.2GT:cool: power and beauty super sharp steering-whats not to like

Also I think that people with less driving ability (ie 98% of all men and women on the road) will handle any problems easier on fwd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts