Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do folks think about the future for the diesel engine d Giulia's ?

Should diesel owners be baling out now before residuals plummet ?

Is the road tax going to be increased by the government retrospectively ?

·
Registered
39,600 Posts
Not only a Giulia issue. My wife's Kuga was on a two year PCP and I paid it off last summer so I've been looking at valuations now and again. The deals on Giulas are better for the diesel but when I bought my new Giulietta last January I noticed the diesel was projected to lose another thousand over three years than the petrol I bought.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What do folks think about the future for the diesel engined Giulia's ?

Should diesel owners be baling out now before residuals plummet ?

Is the road tax going to be increased by the government retrospectively ?
The future for diesel? Pretty gloomy in my opinion, though the current anti-diesel attitudes have been largely engendered by governments panicking and the uninformed media helping them along. Just looking at the problem of air pollution, I'm not convinced that petrol-engined vehicles are much better than diesel-engined ones anyway, and we're going to be stuck with diesel goods and passenger road transport for the foreseeable future, so discouraging new diesel cars isn't going to bring about any significant improvement in air quality. I've driven many miles in diesel cars, and I like many things about them, especially the torque, and of course the fuel economy, but the biggest factor in dissuading me from buying a diesel Giulia was the increasing complication of the things, so many items that will almost inevitably go expensively wrong in time. I don't do a big mileage any more, so fuel costs aren't that important, though I have to say that my petrol car is rather unimpressive on that score, but it is lovely to drive, it has an eagerness and response that no diesel could have, my wife's verdict was "nippy and eager". Some on here hate the stop/start, but the petrol is so quiet and vibration free, that I hardly notice mine at all. The spec that appealed most when I bought mine was the Speciale, but no petrol version, so it had to be a slightly lower spec Super, but I love the car, and with a few options, it's really no hardship at all. I'd probably be almost as happy with a 2.2 Speciale, but I think residuals for those will continue to fall long term. Unless you do an enormous mileage, I think that overall, yours could prove costly, though for your sake and the other owners, I hope not. On future taxes etc, I can't see anything retrospective coming along, that would upset too many voters,though things like city congestion charges which would come from mayors and councils undoubtedly will become more painful in future. With all sincerity, best of luck!

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Pretty gloomy in my opinion, though the current anti-diesel attitudes have been largely engendered by governments panicking and the uninformed media helping them along.

Nah. It was alway anti DERV on AO until about 2007/8 when more people started falling for
DERV's FAKE ECO credentials and being subsidised by true fuel users.

At least now we'll start seeing proper engine
line-ups on offer instead of a parade of various
sizes and power-outputs of oil burners.

Rejoice and sing hallelujah! :thumbs:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Doesn’t seem to be much love for the diesel on here but I have done over 8000 miles in mine since July with an average of 52 mpg. The highest being 75 mpg. With long journeys in mind I have no regrets with the purchase and fuel consumption is better than the Volvo C30 it replaced. It will be a sad day when the diesel is removed as an option.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Newer petrol (sylinder/direct injection) engines pollute way more than a euro 6 diesel engine. The german diesel ban got it right when excluding the euro 6 engines from the ban. The tables could turn again :judge::jester:...

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
Well qualified to comment here, a 2.4 156 with 261,000 miles done since buying it new, and 21,000 miles on a 2.2 Giulia (180 version) since last April. I had a selespeed before the 2.4 and struggled to get 30 average from it, less if I drove it like I have driven the 2.4 for each of its 261k. The Giulia has done 41 average over 21k, the 2.4 50 all day, every day. If Alfa quit diesel we will loose, in my mind, the best 'real world' Giulia, because its the only one you can continually drive in a manner that befits its extraordinary chassis without having to worry about fuel costs. Its also the most reliable Giulia, given the amount of mechanical and electrical issues besetting the petrol models as documented on this forum. The petrol 2.0 litres drive like the diesels now, lots of low down torque, noisy (in an unruly manner) if pushed to the red line with no real gains, so wheres the benefit ? I would struggle to get 25 from a 2.0 litre if I drove it like I am free to always drive the 2.2. If we loose diesel's in general we will be loosing the most efficient form of motive transport ever made. I refuse to accept that burning +20 % more fuel for a given journey is less polluting than the modern diesel. And I refuse to accept that they can't be made even cleaner. The future ? Electric, and we will pay a lot more for a charge of volts than we now pay for a tank of diesel. It will be a steady 35 mph everywhere. Thank god I'll be gone by then.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have worked on diesels all my life, trucks, buses, vans and cars and like them, a lot. My 180 2.2 D Giulia is superb all that torque and many times over 60mpg!

I know of at least two companies working on a system which dramatically reduces Nox, and from what I have read its down by 60% on test. Not sure how far off it being ready for use?

Biggest problems is the vehicles with cheat devices, or the system has been disabled, EGR valve blanked off etc. Or belching out smoke because of very poor servicing or a fault light on and ignored.

If the DSA and government had a major campaign to get these vehicles off the roads and the driver / companies fined big time, that would make a big difference. They should use cameras to fine vehicles smoking, petrol as well

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Some good and informed comments!
I'm no lover of diesel but I admit that they have their place. The trouble is ill-informed tree huggers pushing manufactures to produce inefficient and unreliable 'pollution control' devices.

I think diesel will still have its place for some time. Direct injection petrol is not much better and lean burn strategy causes up to 12 times the particle emissions (think VAG again).

Electric is not viable for longer distances and batteries will use too much semi precious metals if we move from lead acid cells.

From my point of view, best advice would be to still use diesel but maintain the things. New MOT regs in May mean any visible smoke with a DPF is a fail. Engine management light will cause a fail also.

Car ownership is about to become expensive and the personal transportation revolution is over. It will catch out those whose maintenance is purely an MOT fail first though.

I think that avoiding cars bigger and heavier than necessary is a sensible first step but similarly beware of small diesels with all the bells and whistles which are shoehorned into a tiny engine bay.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Just because people don't support filthy stinking oilburners doesn't make 'em tree huggers.
The only reason people switched to DERV was to save money. It was a stupid move.
France has been choking these last years.

DERVs are like cigarrettes. Once they're banned we'll all breath easier and wonder why
we ever put up with them in public places.

Ban: Bloody brilliant I say. And always have.
DERV Alfas were always an abomination.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well my wife has chosen petrol for her new XC60, the list price was slightly higher than the diesel variant and the guranteed future value is forecast higher than the diesel (which is saying something).

There is a lot of scaremongering going on, my worry was the cost of diesel / tax on oil burners will go up so go petrol now. Wife fancied the change as well as the 250 horses under the bonnet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts