Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
38,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after 2 years of looking at other Alfas to add to the fleet or lay up, I am getting the twitch for other stuff - variety being the spice of life and houses and women being hard to p/x etc.

I started with the XK8 as a possibility, a V8 being a nice step up, even if the power gains are negligible considering the weight and auto box. Obviously the downside is the huge bills that go with it should anything go wrong.

RX8s are ridiculously cheap, as SiEiF pointed out a wee while back (before buying an HR-T) but we have the major engine failure spectre looming.

Most elderly stuff is out because I could not spot a rotten chassis with a telescope.

What about the <cough> mini <cough>?

Anyone driven one?

PLEASE! This is NOT a Mini thread, ANY suggestions (and reasons) accepted. :thumbs: What floats your boat? I'm fed up of magazines telling me that "a '72 2002tii is a steal at £20k and might still have room to appreciate"

I want something for £200 to £2,000 that I can use, add to and still get something from.

Tall order?

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Mini as in proper mini or the BMW thing?

My brother in law was a mini obsessive, to be fair it was ****ing fast, but the amount of spannering and welding required to contain the engine seemed excessive. Rust, wet seats, bad smells, they were pretty crap really.

I've been driven in a BMW mini, felt like white goods. Not a classic.

You're going to struggle against the option of a cheap Alfa V6. One of the best engines ever made, in a package that you can get for three figures these days.

Oldish jags - always good. Saabs and Ovlovs are a bit of a pastiche, but for good reason.

Bite the bullet like a man and get a Maserati with no history at all.

·
Registered
1750 GTV, 2000 GTV, Stelvio Milano 280
5,236 Posts
A good unmolested mk1 MX5. But you would need to check for rust, with or without a telescope.

·
Registered
17,170 Posts
Old RX8s are stupidly cheap for a reason. Look at the number of broken ones for sale. If you bought a tidy one with a borked motor cheap enough (as in scrap value or thereabouts) and get the engine done, you could have a useful toy for sensible money.

Other hot tips:

Merc 190e esp 2.6. These are already on the up.

XK8 is a good shout. These never really got cheap like Jags normally do and nice ones are already on the up.

Saab 9-3 Aero. By this I mean the last Saaby one, the same shape as the 900 I had. Especially 3-doors.

Golf VR6. Corrados are going silly and the Golfs will follow.

Old Minis are great fun but need pretty much constant tinkering. Everything is dirt cheap if you find a tidy rust free one but a fiver for this and a tenner for that every few days quickly gets tiresome. £2000 buys you surprisingly little these days.

New Minis aren’t really my thing but a nice Cooper S could be a good buy.

BMW 330 with a manual box like Symon has just bought (or a wagon). The difficulty will be finding a non-rusty, non-messed about with, well looked after one. I gave up on finding a touring a couple of years ago because they were all sheds.

Mk1 Focus ST. All MK1s were great to drive and the time always comes for fast Fords.

Lexus LS400/430. I was following an absolutely mint 400 the other day. Nigh on 20 years old and it looked brilliant.

Audi A3 3.2 Quattro. Cheaper and much more low key than an S3.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Was going to say a Mitsubishi Evo, but even the old ones are still very pricey.
(There was an X in the car park yesterday. Bonkers. Like it.)

The Sirocco will sadly be a classic. Because: VW.
(The Ugly 2-door Golf.)

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
How about a 306 GTi-6?

Fantastic cars and easy to fix.

Reactions: Pud237

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,432 Posts
Had this three years now and I love it. Great car to drive and is admired by everyone who sees it. Yes, not cheap to own and run but it's worth it to me and as I have no desire to own the latest fruit 'phone or £200 pairs of " designer " jeans I think it's money well spent.

Looking a bit dirty in these pics but at this point it's done over 500 miles from home to it's hols in Donegal !!

P.S. £2000 wouldn't buy a quarter of it......!

Attachments

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
RX8 is an OK option - you recognise that the engine is a consumable at rebuild it every 50K. Not great as a daily, but as a weekend toy, it would last you a decade. BUT - i'm not sure it would hold the interest. Its party piece is bonkers RPM delivered smoothly, other than that it consumes vast amounts of petrol and isn't really that fast.

What about old barges with massive engines? Bought carefully, a 90s BMW 7 series could be fun - and can be had for less than 2K. There will be lots of little projects, and probably some occasional big ones... There are even 750s kicking around for not a lot more, but you'd needs balls of steel to take that engine on.

If I had a slot in the fleet, I'd get the ropiest Alfa GT 3.2 i could find - likely to appreciate and good fun.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
There's a Renault 19 16v convertible on eBay for £2,500 and a Peugeot 205 CTI 130k on AT at the same price, both already classic car statues and will hold if not increase in value.

As of less than £2,000 BMW Z3, you'll get the 1.9 for that or maybe a 2.0 straight six. Also Honda Civic Tyre R. Both should rise in value soon. Lot of MG's to be bought also for low prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Future classic? F-type Jag. 5.0L Supercharged. Coupe or convertible, take your pick. Looks, presence, soundtrack are timeless. I'm assuming there'll still be affordable petrol around in 30 years time even though I probably won't be.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts