Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Alfa 145 1.6 Junior
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people. I was wondering, which ones (if any) of the most recent generations Alfas will be sought after and considered a classic in many years from now. I think Giulia QV/GTA/GTAm is a surefire classic, as is the 8c and 4c. But what do you think about the Mito QV, Giulietta QV and Stelvio QV? Do you think these will these ever achieve classic car status or no ?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It’ll probably take 30 years from the day of first registration for them to become a true classic, as there’s lots of 20 year old Alfa’s that have not quite reach that stage yet.
By then will we be able to drive them, or just look at them? That’s the real question. If they can take away things now during lockdown that we take for granted who’s to say they won’t do the same with our internal combustion engines and the places that fuel them in 30 years time.
I say enjoy them whilst you can. How many have missing pulling their stored cars out of hibernation this year? Car shows the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
I think they will all be seen as classic once they get old and rare enough.

People are starting to say that Austin Metros and Maestros are classics, and they were pretty awful cars. So if they can be classics then anything can given enough time.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
‘Classics’ is an interesting term.

a Metro maybe considered shi5 from an automotive perspective, but it’s part - or was part - of popular culture. Arguably therefore, and irrespective of how god or bad it was as a car - it’ll be a classic.

In the U.K., I don’t think any Alfa has that same sort of ‘popular’ classic resonance; they’re too niche, too small volume and - don’t laugh - haven’t appeared in a recent popular film, pop video or TV series to have struck some sort of chord with Joe Bloggs; so an Alfa has to stand on its technical merits alone if it’s to become a classic.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I wonder too. I guess everything becomes a classic. The styling, etc of an older car makes it classic as it is just so different to anything that is current.

A valuable classic? That depends on how many people want a said classic and how many of them are available to buy.

I feel that for a car to become valuable it needs a strong fan base of children when it is first produced. When said children get older and have money, retire etc then they will look forward to buying that car that they once looked at so fondly when they were a child and could only dream.

I feel that Alfas for the most part are still plagued with negative connotations. Perhaps it will change as the children of today, not too aware of the issues of Alfas of the past look at the Alfas of today in awe and anticipation of owning a car like that in the future.

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
I find the classic Porsche market unbelievable as I read Motor magazine from when I was 9 years old and they never got good write ups back in the early 70s. They became better towards the late 70s but as these cars have risen in value earlier cars have become collectible. £250,000 for a ‘72 car in really good condition. They rusted really badly so that makes them rare I suppose but the write ups weren’t very good back then. The Alfasud had superb reviews but rusted too. Mercedes even has its own oldtimer sales from their museum.

·
Registered
1998 Alfa 145 1.6 Junior
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find the classic Porsche market unbelievable as I read Motor magazine from when I was 9 years old and they never got good write ups back in the early 70s. They became better towards the late 70s but as these cars have risen in value earlier cars have become collectible. £250,000 for a ‘72 car in really good condition. They rusted really badly so that makes them rare I suppose but the write ups weren’t very good back then. The Alfasud had superb reviews but rusted too. Mercedes even has its own oldtimer sales from their museum.
Agreed. It seems to me that cars upon release are directly compared to their current competition and the quality of materials used is key whereas many decades later this comparison doesn't matter any more. So maybe when people see Mito QVs and Giulietta QVs in 30 years from now they will see distinct looking and curvy Alfa Romeo sporty hatchbacks with petrol engines which are fun to drive and pretty fast, which is the focal point of these cars, rather than all the other stuff that the motor press seems to constantly care for the most.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
156?.....or is that me being too loyal ? ;)
156 will definitely be a high value collectors' car one day. A representative of the last generation of "2 litre-ish" road cars, with the character, driving pleasure and style to make it stand out. All helped by having been raced successfully.

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
It’d be good if Fiat did what Mercedes , Porsche , Audi etc are doing and get some cars restored and even sell them from the museum. The museum has a new car showroom but I mean get some really nice 156, GT etc and display them with high prices on them!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seemed to me that the N-Ring was just such a future classic, but it will be interesting to see happens to prices now that the GTA/m's are announced. Both the 156 and 147 GTA's are pretty cars with a 'classic' engine so I think those for sure, but the question was about the modern stuff.

·
Registered
566 Posts
People love a limited edition so the Nrings will surely remain valuable. The matte grey is a bit marmite though, and aside from the colour they don’t really have anything over the standard cars, where as the GTA(m) are a different animal altogether.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Might this be strongly effected by whether it remains even possible to drive an ICE car?

If we're talking about them being considered classics in 40-50 years time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Might this be strongly effected by whether it remains even possible to drive an ICE car?

If we're talking about them being considered classics in 40-50 years time.
Assuming electric cars and charging networks develop to the point that everyone adopts, I would imagine you’d be allowed to run a classic in the same way people still ride horses. You mightn’t be allowed in built up areas but I can’t see them being banned completely. That’s also assuming electric becomes the norm before fuel runs out, which seems fairly likely at the moment!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
If electric becomes the norm then is not likely most petrol stations will close (or convert to electric) so how far will you have to drive to refuel a classic ICE in 30 years?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Won’t happen overnight. They will no doubt be less readily available in a few decades time if electric takes over, but they certainly won’t just disappear.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Maybe but if the supermarkets and cut price suppliers pull out and leave only the likes of Shell then it could be a fair hike. The nearest Shell to Scunthorpe is 25 miles away and the only quality supplier in town (population 70,000) is Esso. If electric becomes the norm then I can see people running one of the very few ICE left having to make 50 mile round trips unless they live in a major conurbation.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Maybe but if the supermarkets and cut price suppliers pull out and leave only the likes of Shell then it could be a fair hike. The nearest Shell to Scunthorpe is 25 miles away and the only quality supplier in town (population 70,000) is Esso. If electric becomes the norm then I can see people running one of the very few ICE left having to make 50 mile round trips unless they live in a major conurbation.
Going to the petrol station would be an enjoyable driving experience and excuse to use the car though!

I often go for a drive just for the sake of it already though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts