Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum but reading other posts, you guys may be able to help me.

A few days ago I lost elec windows, wipers, indicators, sun roof and cig lighter control. After reading through other posts, I was led to fuse 6 in the upper fuse box, which was indeed blown. I changed it and all was well for a day or so then went again. Now when ever I change it, it blows again. I was at work and travelled home, then whilst en route lost speedo, rev counter and all other dials. I have checked the fuse for the instruments and that is ok.

I had a side light out the other week and my local garage was fiddling around in the fuse box. Could they have dislodged somthing? There were no fuses gone then and I have since taken the live feed from the other side light and patched it across. I cant see this would be an issue as the fuse went before I did this but thought I would mention it.

The fuses for each item that stops working do not blow, just the 7.5A ones that stop them all, if that makes sense.

In the mean time I will start stripping the dash around the fuse box but would appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have checked all the fuses and several were blown. I have replaced them and 2 now blow everytime ignition is switched on. First, a 30A on the very top row goes, followed by the 7.5A that then stops the windows etc from working. My handbook shows several fuses on the top caged row, but there are only 2 30A fuses on the very top row. 1 controls the boot release but the other I am unsure of. This is the one that keeps blowing and logic would say connected to the 7.5A blowing too. My manual is clearly wrong and the fuse will not stay in tact long enough to test circuits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just discovered that if I turn headlights on the fuse blows and I loose dash and rear lights......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time for an update

I isolated the fuse that keeps blowing. Using a voltmeter I found that this wire (not live side of the fuse but side that goes to equi)pment had some sort of ground as there was a resistence. I managed to trace this wire up to the rev counter. After disconnecting the plug from the back, tested the same colour wire to check it was the very same wire coming out the fuse box. It was. Then tested again to ground and this positive wire does go to ground. I think I have found my problem. Next comes a test cutting both ends and running a seperate wire from the fuse up to the rev counter as there must be an issue that I cant see or cannot get to through the birdsnest of loom behind. Fingers crossed!!!!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Electrics problems are a real problem to sort out on the forum because it could be lots of things and siorting this sort of issue out normally requires people to be at the car with a meter (as you have found) - I am glad that you have been able to isolate it. Good luck in getting it fixed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up locating a cluster of wires joined behind the dash. I un-soldered them and tested one at a time. Sure enough, one was going to ground. I extended this wire so that I could re fit the bulkhead and dash. After re-fitting everything, everything now works except the electric mirrors. If I re-connect the wire I extended, the fuse blows again. At least I have heating etc and if and when I can be bothered, I will have the doors stripped down to find the ground to the mirrors. Just thought I would add this in case anyone has similar issues.

Next problem, lambda sensors :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts