Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly Optimax achieves it high octane by the use of polymer additives.
Many bike riders have plug fouling problems with it.
However have no problem with Mobil 8000 (Australia)

G

·
Further, Future or Furture? (The Aussies not content with speaking the Queens English are inventing a new language)

:D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nemesis:
<strong>Further, Future or Furture? (The Aussies not content with speaking the Queens English are inventing a new language)

:D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well William Shakespeare supossedly added an extra 1/3 new words to the English language.
I am sure that I am entitled to add at least one. :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Another thought about optimax, is that the octane rating drops like lemmings.

in a week it can drop by 1 ron !!

So by the time you have it in your tank it is probably down to normal unleaded (95 ron). I am not going to use it any more.

Texaco petrol is supposed to be the best petrol to use as it contains less adatives that all the other fuel makes !!!

G

·
I have found BP super unleaded plus 250ml of parafin (as recommended by Marlon) to be far superior to Shell Optimax.

Barry
155V6

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HWExtreme: Yes the octane rating supposedly drops fairly quickly with Optimax.
Presumably if this is the case you would need to purchase from a petrol station that had a high turnover, as well as not leave petrol sitting in tank. With an Alfa this should be not problem at all eek! :D

Barry: What is the reason for putting Kerosene /paraffin in your tank. Cleaning agent ?

From what I can gather here in Australia the petrol Quality is;
1)Mobil 8000- best
2) BP Synergy
3)Optimax- Worst
Those with motor bikes including even bikes like the Aprillia 1000 RS have octane problems with Optimax's variability and plug fouling problems.

Now the Octane change may or may not be aproblem and the plug fowling is related to head squish area design and may or may not be relevant to cars
example I ran a VW 2E 2.0 motor as used in a 1995 SEAT Ibiza GTi for 50,000km using same set of platinum plugs and no fouling when using Optimax.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stori:
<strong>Supposedly Optimax achieves it high octane by the use of polymer additives.
However have no problem with Mobil 8000 (Australia)</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stori,
Since day one of getting my bella I only use Mobil 8000 & incase i cant fill up with Mobil so I use BP Ultimate.

·
Registered
386 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Reuven:
<strong> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stori:
<strong>Supposedly Optimax achieves it high octane by the use of polymer additives.
However have no problem with Mobil 8000 (Australia)</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stori,
Since day one of getting my bella I only use Mobil 8000 & incase i cant fill up with Mobil so I use BP Ultimate.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know but we probably have the same stuff you have in Aussie...from memory BP Ultimate is actually a lower guaranteed RON than the Mobil Synergy 8000 isn't it (I know they're both marketed as 98 Octane).

We don't have Optimax here. Just BP Ultimate and Mobil Synergy 8000.

Jono

G

·
What has happened to the "OPTIMAX OPTIMAX YEH YEH YEH" chants that have been heard in other forum strings about this issue? Maybe all of this is psychological. I use Optimax, then BP Ultimate and on rare occasions Mobil 8000 Synergy.......but I cannot say that I could detect any overt differences. Most of the information (on the net) comparing different fuels is bogus, unsubstantiated or outright crap. So what are we to do??

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Yiannissimo:
<strong>What has happened to the "OPTIMAX OPTIMAX YEH YEH YEH" chants that have been heard in other forum strings about this issue? Maybe all of this is psychological. I use Optimax, then BP Ultimate and on rare occasions Mobil 8000 Synergy.......but I cannot say that I could detect any overt differences. Most of the information (on the net) comparing different fuels is bogus, unsubstantiated or outright crap. So what are we to do??</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In reality, in a car, I do not think it makes much difference.
I only thought people might be interested in problems being experienced in the high performance bike market.
Basically these are pinging/pinking and plug fouling. This is probably due to bike head design.
example My best friends Aprilia 1000 RS runs best on Mobil and pings etc on Optimax. BP Synergy is not consistent. Sometimes pings and some times does not.
I have personally not experienced a problem when using Optimax in a car but I have always brought from a petrol station with high turnover.

G

·
Optimax Optimax yeh yeh yeh :p

If I put Optimax in my tank now (see left) an engine clean will be required at minimum.

I have always used Optimax in my recent petrol cars and noticed a difference, smoother, picks up better, has just that bit more go. Not psychological, but real. Evo magazine tested in Honda CTR, BMW Z3 Coupe and a Jag - all noticed benefits in performance and cleaner engines due to the ADDITIVES. You NEED the additives (as far as I understand it and I'm not a chemical/petroleum engineer, but someone else here is!)

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts