Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BMW obviously don't think so because they are getting into fwd just as Alfa goes the other way.

·
Administrator
87,597 Posts
BMW obviously don't think so because they are getting into fwd ...

Maybe they are just trying to prevent any more confusion for those fitting snow socks :confused:

:EVIL:

·
Administrator
87,597 Posts
Dwelling on the architecture a little? Do we think RWD will equate to sales and profit?

In the real world I don't think too many customers will really care if the cars are FWD or RWD.
AWD might add some sales (I'm not referring to the S/CUV)

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I think that was general knowledge already, given the statement that all future Alfas will be manufactured in Italy.

I did ask Alfa GB's head at Thruxton when the new Spider will be appearing and if it will be an Alfa. The response was "what if it was an Abarth?" That sort of gives it a death warrant as far as a being an Alfa. I wasn't the only person who asked, but it was obviously a corporate decision.

·
Administrator
87,597 Posts
I think that was general knowledge already ...
True about the Mazda (not Alfa anymore) Spider.

I think despite the title of the link it was posted more for the info about the comments form Harald Wester about the actual future Alfa Spider (not the Mazda one)

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
Dwelling on the architecture a little? Do we think RWD will equate to sales and profit?
BMW obviously don't think so because they are getting into fwd just as Alfa goes the other way.
Certain types of cars are best being FWD and other types of cars are best being RWD. For example small sports car and premium exec saloons - RWD. People carriers, medium sized hatchbacks, superminis - FWD. To me it sounds like BMW & Alfa are both heading in the same direction, which is having the appropriate drivetrain for the type of car being sold.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I suspect BMW's main reason for 1 series to be FWD was so they could platform share with the Mini brand. It would not be possible to turn a Mini into a RWD car but 1 Series owners seemed to think it was FWD anyway ... so no barrier to sales there.

:)

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suspect BMW's main reason for 1 series to be FWD was so they could platform share with the Mini brand. It would not be possible to turn a Mini into a RWD car but 1 Series owners seemed to think it was FWD anyway ... so no barrier to sales there.

:)
The 2 series active tourer is Mini based already and it lacks the BMW proportions but it looks a bit like the Alfa Spider equivalent Z4. Http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/2-series/active-tourer . The Z4 sells with big discounts because it's there for image but there's a limit to how many people want/need a two seat convertible .

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
On the other hand, the Spider will be based on Giorgio (aka Giulia) platform.. :( Sounds like it'll be a replacement for ex-Brera Spider owners rather than something more like a Z4 (?).

Spider should be small, I think... certainly no bigger than a Mito or Giulietta .. so this sounds like another "wafter" rather than a taut little run-about.. :(

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Aye.. I'll be curious to see the Giorgio-based Spider (Spigio?) next to the Mazdarth.

I guess Mazdarth is going to be smaller/lighter/tauter .. perhaps "raw" in the spirit more of the old Fiat Barchetta.. whereas Spigio will be more like a slinky "Giuiletta convertible".

I hope the latter isn't too "soft" though... the last 2 Spiders (GVT and Brera) have been more cruisers than serious "sports" cars. Spigio needs to be "tighter" but still day-to-day driveable and comfortable... like the old Duetto in fact.. :D

I can see I'll want the Spigio but actually like the Mazdarth..... :D

Anyways.. FCA.. Bring it!

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Case of which will bring the bigger sales. Audi and BMW seem to sell quite a few A4 and 3 series rag tops, wont hurt Alfa Romeo to see some of the action.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
surely Alfa need a softer cruiser type convertable, we already have a tight/hardcore one with the 4C

1 - 18 of 18 Posts