Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst enjoying a very spirited drive earlier (you know the ones, questionable speeds, squealing tyres the smell of burning brake pads), I realise whilst I have upgraded my brakes to 6 groove discs and Red Dot fast road pads, which certainly do the job, toward the end of my drive the brake peddle needed to be shoved further and further to the floor before the anchors would do their job like I wanted.

What is the cause?

Surely not the pads and discs not being up to the job?:eek:

Cooking the brake fluid?:confused:

Maybe my brake hoses need upgrading?:confused:

Something else?:confused:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
RedDot pads don't have a good reputation.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS Didn't realise you could get 90mph out of third gear :cool:

Obviously on an Autobahn!

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I would recommend changing the hoses and using a really good quality Dot 4 (don't go anywhere near Dot 5). You could also try the Ferodo performance pads (highly recommended on here). Best to keep to the 284mm vented disc set-up as the only other (very expensive) avenue is to go for a Brembo upgrade to 305mm (that would mean changing the wheels as well).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Starting at my end of the price structure :

Fluid , original ? Time to change.
Fluid not Dot 5.1 ? " " "

Brake/clutch flud is hydroscopic , or something , over time it will absorb water(vapour) , and it's this that causes the fluid to lower its boiling temperature , and cause soggy brakes .
Allegedly .;)

And if its a shared brake/clutch reservoir , best of luck bleeding the clutch slave .:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I think you nailed it with those 2, get some Goodridge hoses on there and fill it with DOT5, then it'll be the buisness.
DOT5.1 or Super DOT4

Don't use DOT5

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Is it fairly straight forward to change the hoses and fluid?

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I know you're right, but what's wrong with DOT5 exactly?
Apparantly it weakens the rubber seals in the braking system, best to avoid.

Originally Posted by Spider95
...a Brembo upgrade to 305mm (that would mean changing the wheels as well).
That depends what wheels you have now
Well obviously but then again this has got me thinking: would the after market brembos (not the Alfa ones) clear the 17" non-GTA Alfa wheels? Good news if they do:)

·
Vendor
46,135 Posts
Well obviously but then again this has got me thinking: would the after market brembos (not the Alfa ones) clear the 17" non-GTA Alfa wheels? Good news if they do:)
Are you talking about the Brembo Gran Turismo kit? I think thats what David C has on his Sele..

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Will depend on what 17" wheels you have.
Send a PM to member "Pascs", I'm sure he ran std 17" rims with his Brembo GT kit for a while but I can't remember if he still needed spacers or not.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I used the standard 17" Selespeed style with the Brembo GT kit - these are narrower than other Brembo calipers and the wheels fitted with out spacers.

But I dont think all Alfa 17" wheels have the same clearance.

I have GTA wheels now and these fit fine.............although I've just bought a set of Ferrari 360 Brembos to go with the GTA wheels and the Brembo GT's will go on the car with the 17" Selespeeds. :lol:

IMO what ever you do you should fit Ferodo pads - they work great on the Alfa. Red Dot pads are very scary.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ferodo or Tarox pads should be OK, I've been using Tarox Corsas with slotted discs and they're great for track days. You might want to change the brake fluid and get a set of steel lines for firmer brake feel.

·
0 Posts
First time I've ever used Tarox discs and pads - they are incredible on my GT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts