Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
14 years after launch and still no consensus on best suspension set up, wheel size, make of tyre, type of oil, air filter, exhaust etc etc etc. Makes for a great read but confusing for someone hoping to become a GTV owner soon :confused:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
14 years after launch and still no consensus on best suspension set up, wheel size, make of tyre, type of oil, air filter, exhaust etc etc etc. Makes for a great read but confusing for someone hoping to become a GTV owner soon :confused:
eh whats confusing? its all relative to the money you have;)

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
Just buy one and then either experiment, or do nothing :lol:. And there's no right or wrong way to set things up, in fact, some people are so confused they even have two Gtv's!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thats true, but probably true of all marques,... re exhaust/induction mods watch this space, i just had my TS dynoed at 153bhp, 3 more than it should make, it's standard apart from a jpx rear exhaust section which deletes the saddle box, over the next few weeks i'm gonna remove the cat, dyno again, alter the induction, dyno again, re-map, dyno again, at least that way we get to see what each mod does (although its true that it should be re-mapped after each mod but at 400 quid a pop thats too expensive), should get some useful data out of the excersise though. (suspension is next year but no idea how i would quantify that, lap times?).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's confusing?

Polybushed rear suspension? Lasts longer but some say it spoils the handling?

Air filter? K&N filters and typhoon induction kit have worked fine on my previous engines but apparantly not on the TS?

Oil? Semi, Full sythetic, mineral? Full synthetic costs the most so should be best but not for older/higher mileage engines? Correct?

Tyres/Wheels - What's the optimum size/profile? Regarding makes some love Falken others don't, I've previously been pleased with Toyo Proxis but some Alfa owners don't rate them.

Headlights - Rubbish but what's the best alternative?

Loads of stuff really, I know you're right in prinicple, and obey the 36k/3year cambelt rule but I wish someone would say defintively what's best, but I know that's impossible and someone would come on 5 mins later and disagree. It was just a thought that's all!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
What's confusing?

Air filter? K&N filters and typhoon induction kit have worked fine on my previous engines but apparantly not on the TS?

Oil? Semi, Full sythetic, mineral? Full synthetic costs the most so should be best but not for older/higher mileage engines? Correct?

Tyres/Wheels - What's the optimum size/profile? Regarding makes some love Falken others don't, I've previously been pleased with Toyo Proxis but some Alfa owners don't rate them.

Loads of stuff really, I know you're right in prinicple, and obey the 36k/3year cambelt rule but I wish someone would say defintively what's best, but I know that's impossible and someone would come on 5 mins later and disagree. It was just a thought that's all!
it down to preferance and money, what some like, others wont, and vice versa.

tyres - if your pleased with toyo get them, personally i get falkens, always have, there 452's especially. but tyres change, you should stick to what you know and are comfortable with

induction - cda is considered the way to go, fully synthetic oil.

exhaust - supersprint are considered to be the best, but i personlly go custom, then i get what 'I' want, not what a manufacturer wants, but its again down to personal choice.

headlights - i use hid kits, but others dont like them. but if there fitted right, with the right bulbs, theres no issues, except police, but up to you whether you take that chance
;)

cambelt is 3yrs or 36k thats right:thumbs:

polybushed suspension is good for handling but bad for ride quality, as its very stiff, depends what you like.

see simple:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
What's confusing?

1. Does last longer, handling hard to quantify.
2. The MAF is the worry with oiled filters, but are people over oiling them?
3. Just filled with fully synthetic, engine runs quieter,125k, not imagining it.
4. I have new Falkens 17x215x45, tramlines like mad, cant prove its the tyres though.
5. headlight, ask itacarboy for a photo.

See what u mean, it's confusing:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts