Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got round to seeing my mates Brera Ii yesterday. We met up at a friends house in the Malvern hills for a night out. Checked the Brera over, very smart indeed.
Sat nav, special leather, and THAT paintwork. Still can't make my mind up about it. Looks stunning in the steel to be fair, set off with the special 18" turbine effect black alloys.

So, parked up last night after a drive from South Wales. Nose down on a very steep hill.
Got in this morning, about 12pm, I was taking it for a test drive.
I didn't take much notice on start up as I was faffing with the seat and mirrors etc.. Set off down the steep hill, slowly, with my mate in the passenger seat.
"Whats that symbol for on the dash?" he asks after half a mile. Looked like an image of a dipstick in the lower left side of the information read out. He checked the manual, no reference to the symbol. So we carried on for a mile, with me being cautious due to the engine temperature and the symbol.
Pulled up on a flat section, let the car sit for 5 mins, then opened the bonnet to check the actual level. It showed approx a quarter up the dipstick marker. Hmmm, thought maybe the engine needs to sit for longer, so set off back to the house we were staying at. On start up the oil read out showed totally empty, "check engine oil level" warning displayed.
Parked up on a flat section, waited for 10 mins, checked dipstick again, absolutely nothing showing.
So left the car, walked back to friend's house expecting to have to call Alfa Rescue. This is a 60 plate car with 7K miles on the clock!!
15 mins later, walked back to the car, checked the dipstick, showing quarter again. Put the key in, 3 bars on the display!
Now, there is not a drop of grease or oil in the engine bay, nor under the car at all, bone dry.
The car starts and drives perfectly.

So what the hell is going on?? We think maybe the steep hill had thrown the sensors out? But then why does the dipstick not show anything over quarter full even after a 15-20 min wait?

Any thoughts on this?

Taking the filler cap off we can see plenty of oil on the cams, all nice and clean as well. He only picked the car up on Saturday last week.

To top it off, got in my GT, started up, same hill, nose down, full oil reading! Bizarre.

Does the 1.8tbi take longer for the oil to drain down into the sump to take a reading?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To update, I left to come back home, thinking he was fine to go as it was showing some oil, he jumped in the Brera, zero oil again!
He called Alfa Assist, nice AA man came out and topped the level up to full. Then he set off to Wales.

Where the hell did 4 litres of oil go in 7K miles????

·
Registered
460 Posts
To update, I left to come back home, thinking he was fine to go as it was showing some oil, he jumped in the Brera, zero oil again!
He called Alfa Assist, nice AA man came out and topped the level up to full. Then he set off to Wales.

Where the hell did 4 litres of oil go in 7K miles????

I have no steep hills here to test, but i can tell you i had some strange behaviour of the oil level display on mine too.. it was showing -1 or -2 bars, and lately it showed back full level again.
Checking with dipstick oil level was fine though.
I have about 7Kmiles on the car too, and it definitely didn't use that much of oil :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Steep hills do that to the sensor. Steep hills and hot starts even worse.
I live in a hilly area so I get these false alarms several times a week.
Actual dipstick oil level is fine.
This has nothing to do with the actual oil level you got in the car.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coming from a diesel GT it was very different!

The engine pulls really well, even from low revs, very derv like in its delivery really. Get it in 3rd and press go and it does. I was pretty conservative due to the oil issue, so not really finding the full capability.
The only issue I could comment on a negative was the lack of sound track. Too quiet, even with the 4 exhausts of the Brera!

Lovely carbon dash, really, really liked the effect.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
Have this on my 159 2.0 JTDm as well. Reading is always -2 or -3 bars!! I live on a slope and one morning the car was on zero bars and I had the oil warning come on. Checked dip stick - it was on the bottom mark!!!!!!! I parked the car the opposite way around and waited 10 minutes and then restarted and it was back to -2 bars.

Went to dealers and they topped it up with a litrre of oil (car was 5 days old) and the tech. said to me that they have replaced a hosts of sensors on the 159/Brera due to faulty readings. Just check the dipstick was his tip and he told me the 2.0 JTDm uses about a litre every 1000 miles for the first 20k so so and to keep on top of it. The car must have been low on oil however for the warning to come on, as it still now reads under the on checking the dipstick (on a level surface ;)) it is almost to the top.

I will get the sensor replaced when it's due it's first service as it is annoying. The other 3 159s I had didn't have a problem with the sensor.

p.s. my 5L of 5w30 have just arrived from Opie Oils :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts