Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.9 jtdm is real hard to start and runs rough ... When I start it up, it takes anything upto 20 rotations to fire and then doesn't fire instantly it's kinda spluttery.

If I turn it off and restart straight away it will fire straight off, but the longer I leave it the harder it is to restart again ?! Almost like it must draw the diesel all the way from the fuel tank to the injectors .... I'm also getting a lot of unburnt diesel in the manifold and throttle body, which im assuming isn't good on a direct injection engine !!!

Injectors tested and are good, no EGR faults, manifold ect, no eml light on.

Would it run at all if the timing slipped a bit ? Maybe failure of Cam sensor ? Fuel filter to be changed Monday to eliminate this.

I need ideas I've been going over this engine for 2 weeks trying to find possibilities.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My 1.9 jtdm is real hard to start and runs rough ... When I start it up, it takes anything upto 20 rotations to fire and then doesn't fire instantly it's kinda spluttery.

If I turn it off and restart straight away it will fire straight off, but the longer I leave it the harder it is to restart again ?! Almost like it must draw the diesel all the way from the fuel tank to the injectors .... I'm also getting a lot of unburnt diesel in the manifold and throttle body, which im assuming isn't good on a direct injection engine !!!

Injectors tested and are good, no EGR faults, manifold ect, no eml light on.

Would it run at all if the timing slipped a bit ? Maybe failure of Cam sensor ? Fuel filter to be changed Monday to eliminate this.

I need ideas I've been going over this engine for 2 weeks trying to find possibilities.
Have you bled the diesel system ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you bled the diesel system ?
Its a self priming system .... Upon replacing the filter you fill it using the bleed nipple and the rest of the system self primes when you put the key in. It's a much bigger problem than a few air bubbles, I'm thinking maybe the fuel pressure regulator has failed which is downstream of the injectors ....

It would definately cause the symptoms I have.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You have a system air leak somewhere proberley a slightly split pipe within the fuel system.... I have had this twice on our trucks iveco the pipe always splits near fuel filter just on the edge of pipe fittings.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
The EGR will not necessarily give a fault Cade ( it only seems to give a fault code if is blocked shat rather than open ( it can only tell through air flaw rather than a direct link). Try blocking it off ( a bit of drinks can covering the pipe underneath will do). Has been linked to poor/ non starting cars

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a brand new egr .... Do self priming cars get air locks in the diesel system, ive messed about and made it alot better, I'm sure there's air locks or something ???

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Not something you want to hear but !!

If you are sure you are pulling air into the fuel system and have eliminated everything else there is one other thing I know of but its very very rare.

On the fuel pump which is in the tank there is a pig tail pipe coil built into the fuel pump which has been know in rare occasions to spilt. You need to check if the car starts run rough after a certain level of fuel is reached.

If for example if the pig tail has spilt at approx the half tank level, your car will run fine from a full tank to the half tank point. once you reach the level of the split you can then start sucking air into the fuel system.

Does the fuel pump prime and turn off when you insert the key, every time ? give it chance and monitor this.
If the answer is yes at all fuel levels this should eliminate my suggestion, but if the car runs fine after filling up and at some point after starts to run rough it could be pointing at this issue. If you can get the fuel system pressure tested.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've checked every line back to front, all good.

I've also got a slightly high Idle and it fluctuates between 750 and 800 rpm ??

What appears to be fuel in the intake manifold ??

One ECU scan the fuel regulator is always open about 36% even when being revved it goes to 38% ??

Also no reading from lambda sensor, I'm assuming it has one !! But can see this causing this problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts