Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 155 failed its MOT on the fuel tank. Apparently the mechanic spotted a petrol leak down one side of the tank and says he will need to take it off to check the problem. The tanks about half-full and doesnt leave a noticable stain where its been parked so I`m mystified.

I havent smelt any petrol around the back end at all and will check the tank out myself more thoroughly tomorrow but does anyone have any experience of possible (common) failure points for the tank? I don`t really want to drop the tank as the metal belts will probably need replacing if I disturb them - mainly because they will have to be hacksawed off!.

Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
clean the tank and if your satisfiyed with it with regards to saftey take it some where else for mot...perfectly legal.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... its definately leaking.

Damn lazy mechanics (no offense JB).
It took me 15 seconds and a torch to see that the leak was coming from the top of the tank around the sender and pump unit. Drop the tank indeed! :rolleyes:

Finally found the leak after taking the whole thing apart. It seems tio be a micro fracture around the pipe where it enters the tank and the collar it gets clamped to the tank with. Very small leak but with fuel at 4bar, it does leak. Looks like its a new pipe.

About £8 60593806 if anyones interested. Taking bets that the local garage wont have one ("its an Alfa what? you mean its not a 1.8 156??").

J

·
0 Posts
why didnt you just lift up the carpet in the boot and undo the access panel..???

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn`t explain myself very well.
I found the leak by looking from under thecar with a torch. Took up the carpet and the acess panel and then disassembeled the piping to the sender/pump to find where the damn leak was as it all needed cleaning up first. Soon as it was clean and dry I switched on the ignition and looked for new bubbles/petrol anywhere. Found the culprit. Looks like this is reasonably common as Mangoletsi have sold 6 of these pipes in the last few years and I`m sure that adds up to quite a few from all dealers across the country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts