Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The centre fuel tank strap disintegrated on my 156 2.4JTD Sportwagon and I need to replaced. However being the mean old git that I am, I refuse to pay the best part of £50 for a new one and all the used ones I've seen are almost as bad as my original.

Before my life as a graphic designer I worked as an engineer so I'm more than capable of making one, but I'd be happier to work from a drawing with dimensions on it. I've got the partial remains of the old one, so I can work out the curves and the hole diameters, but it would be a guesstimate for the overall size and I don't want to risk that.

I can't get good enough access to measure the existing ones so a drawing would be my best bet.

Would appreciate any help

Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD 8v Veloce (2005)
261 Posts
Years ago the straps rusted through on my Alfa 155 - I got underneath and measured the total length with a piece of string, nipped to somewhere like B and Q, bought a couple of lengths of strip stainless steel (not too thick). Then with a hole drilled in one end (for the bolt) loosely bolted it in place and started to form the shape from that end bending by hand and drilled the hole at the other end for the other bolt. Fitted fine, was stronger than original ones and less than a tenner. Happy days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts