Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just had my spider on a car hoist and had a good look at why I keep getting a puddle of black tar/oil substance on the garage floor every now and again!

So it looks the petrol tank has a leak on the seam just behind the exhaust heat shield. The petrol is then mixing with underseal etc and dropping on to floor and setting quite solid.

This would explain the fuel smell in the car occasionally. I would really like to get the fuel tank out and get it sorted (also look at the sender ) but I can not find any information on how to remove it, I am open to advice please.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Big job that one
Exhaust comes off first then Rear subframe comes off , then release sender wires from behind back seats.
Once subframe is off you will see a piece of white sheet steel. Undo and remove to reveal fuel tank.
It's held on with strappy things. You'll also need to remove fill pipe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping the reason I could not find any info was because its such a easy no brain job. Not sure im up for removing the subframe. Might have to do some research on alternate remedies'.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Be careful. Have a look at Joe Stuart on Alfabook (on Facebook). His Spider went up in flames last week owing to (it's thought) a leaking fuel pipe. What a mess, total write off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Been a while but this is my latest thinking. I don't think its the fuel tank leaking because I get a pressure release when I open fuel filler cap but something is defo happening under there. Does any1 now if its possible to remove the bolted plate that the fuel tank sits on without removing the subframe. Just so I could have a look from under the car?
Thanks for any replies .

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Have you looked at the top of the tank / fuel pump assembly, if you have a leak from the tank so are the chances that it is from there it is leaking great, connections or tubing that is not ok, hairline cracks in the plastic on the connections at the fuel pump.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to update this , So I removed the seal which fits around the filler cap . No longer do I get a pressure release when I open the fuel filler cap or a fuel leak . Car seams to run ok so happy all round. Thanks

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You might get away with no seal there but on later cars a fault could show up. My daughter had an error come up on her Fiat 500 and she traced it to that the filler cap wasn't on quite right.

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
106 Posts
Just throwing this out there as a possibility. I too have a huge pressure release when the filler cap comes off. I've also had a strong fuel smell on the car for a while. Last weekend I replaced the pump seal and achieved a huge reduction in fuel smell but still get the pressure release.
I found that the vapour solenoid had failed so there was no path for excess pressure - replacing the solenoid however did not fix the issue - and pressure from the tank would not vent through the disconnected hose. I gradually removed other components of the vapour system until I found that the vapour separator (the part that sits above the tank and condenses fuel back to the tank) has a pressure release diaphragm in its outlet and this is stuck. Moreover, there is a vent on this valve such that 'extreme' pressure vents through a small hole and into the boot. I'll be replacing this separator since to diagnose the issue required destructive dismantling (that's an understatement, lol).

It may be worth noting for future searches that the presence of a pressure relief valve in the separator means that the tank is intended to have an internal pressure.
GTV Ph1 V6 TB Vapour Separator pressure relief.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts