Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are others experiences here?

I brimmed the tank local to the dealer on collection with 15m on the clock, it took 30 odd litres of diesel from its indicated 1/2 full reading, which seemed about right.

I've done 386m since and today with 45m left on the range, its boinging at me to refuel and the red indicator is on. Trip shows about 40mpg, so that didn't seem right.

I've brimmed the tank again and it took 44ltrs.

Manual says it has a 58ltr tank including an 8ltr reserve and that refuel indicator comes on when the reserve is being used.

386m @ 40mpg is 9.68gallons or 43.85 litres, so consumption is about right, but then the tank/gauge is way out? Whats going on??

·
Registered
33,116 Posts
The estimated mileage to refuel is quite sensitive/accurate so when you’re urban driving it looks like you’re going to need stop. But then you drive on the motorway and after a while the range is greater than you started out with.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'd been on fast A roads for previous 100m running at between 40 and 70 whilst the range seemingly ticked ever downwards, quite fast, yet the trip mpg was climbing, through 42mpg. I was also in the eco mode, should that make a difference.

Does it a take a few tanks to "calibrate"?

·
Registered
33,116 Posts
Too early to tell for me. I’ve got 1500 miles on the odometer so only a couple of refuels so far.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’ve done around 10000 miles in my diesel Stelio and averaged around 42-43, occasionally 45 mpg - the trip calculator seems pretty accurate. I run usually in “N” mode - sometimes in “S” if I’m feeling frisky. Recently I ran the tank down into the “red” and squeezed 60 litres into the tank - I’ll need to check but isn’t the tank capacity 68 litres?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve done around 10000 miles in my diesel Stelio and averaged around 42-43, occasionally 45 mpg - the trip calculator seems pretty accurate. I run usually in “N” mode - sometimes in “S” if I’m feeling frisky. Recently I ran the tank down into the “red” and squeezed 60 litres into the tank - I’ll need to check but isn’t the tank capacity 68 litres?
handbook claims 2 different capacities, larger 64ltr tank is "for markets where provided", but offers no info on which markets they are! UK website shows 58ltr capacity. Low 40's mpg is good and what I'd be hoping for. Is that off the trip comp? does actual consumption match? Is it mixed road, or motorway?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The tank capacities are strange, having put 60l into the tank a few days ago I can only think the tank as fitted to my 2017 Stelio has a 64 l tank. The mpg relates to the trip computer figure although I’ve cross calibrated it against a full to full tank figure and the trip computers seems to reasonably accurate. I’m getting 42-43 mpg on a mixed run of motorway, cross country A & B roads. Ive not found that using “ECO” setting makes much difference to the mpg although it does damp down the throttle response for icy roads. Running in “S” mode does seem to use more fuel although I’ve not carried out a decent mpg test - my next little test

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well yesterday I refuelled again, having run the tank as low as I dared.

The range and Low Fuel indicator is very pessimistic and alarmist I think. I'd set off from Liverpool with 190miles to travel and 235miles range indicated. The Low fuel indicator (orange light) came on with gauge showing 1/4 tank and range at about 90 miles. I had 70 miles to go. Later the indicator change to red with 2 bars left, range down to 40miles and falling quickly. I'd only done around 450miles at that point from a full tank and at around 40mpg again, so I gambled...........

Range expired with ---miles and I had another 20miles to go, the gauge still showing 2 red indicators and if it was a 58ltr tank, I guess I still had at least 2 gallons left at 40mpg. Got home with 1 red indicator on and refuelled and it took 56.8ltrs at a calculated 38mpg. So my read of this is that the tank capacity is more than 60ltrs , that the refuel warning light first warns with probably 3 gallons (120 miles+) still in the tank and that the range reading is incredibly pessimistic. Trip mpg is pretty accurate at about 5% margin of error too high. Even showing no range and only 1 red gauge on, there is probably still 8-10ltrs in the tank, enough for another 60-90 miles, not that I'd risk that unless I was really stuck though!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
There are quite of a lot of posts on the Giulia thread that its fuel gauge is non-linear, dropping from half full to near empty much faster than from full to half full.

With many of us are getting alarmed when the gauge changes to red sooner than expected.

The Stelvio would seem to have the same issue.

Andy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andy - appears so. My interpretation of what the tank must look like, is an upside down pyramid!

Its no problem, as long as its understood. I've found I can do over 100 mile without the gauge moving when full, then less than 20mile and it loses a bar when empty!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting reading jwq, thanks. Is this the same for petrol/diesel, Guilia/Stelvio? Any info on the AdBlue tank on a diesel - size etc?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just found this older post. I have just posted somewhere else that my Low Adblue warning light came on at about 3450 miles. As there is no level gauge, does anybody know how much of the fluid might actually be left ie. how many more miles dare you drive without any damage being caused?
On my last 2.2 turbo diesel, hardly any adblue was consumed and it was topped up at the annual service if needed. Helpfully there was a dashboard gauge to keep you advised.
It would help if Alfa did this as it seems consumption is quite high.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did about 4500 miles from new before I was informed by the car it needed more adblue. Another similar mileage and another tank needed. From first warning on needing to fill up to the final “few hundred miles or Armageddon” warning was about 1000miles.

tank is 14ltrs I think. It won’t do any damage to run out, but eventually the car won’t restart until it’s refilled.

I do mostly motorway mileage and I think the consumption is high. It’s my first diesel car with Adblu.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts