Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on changing the fuel filter on my 1998 phase 1 GTV (2.0TS). With it being a phase 1 it has the external "canister" style filter underneath.

I've read the workshop manual and it says to remove the fuel pump system relay and run the car till it stalls to depressurize the fuel system before changing the filter. I believe the fuel pump relay is S12a, however it seems as though it could be in one of three places:
  • Under the bonnet near the bulkhead just below the wipers and to the left of the brake fluid filler
  • Under the offside plastic cover above the OSF wheel (where the alarm siren is)
  • In the boot next to the battery
Does anyone know where it would be on a phase 1?

Alternatively, I'm wondering if disconnecting the electrical connector on the top of the fuel pump and running the engine would have the same effect for depressurizing the fuel system? This might be easier than trying to locate the correct relay.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ian

The relay you want (S12a) is under the bonnet by the brake fluid filler, it is a grey relay with a black body and has a fuse attached to the front of it with a black cap on it. Fuse will either be 7.5A or 15A.

Dead easy to find and remove, be careful though when taking it out as the relay outer cover can come off (clips back on). Might be worth using a small screwdriver to ease it from the body and wiring. Was working on mine last week.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ian

The relay you want (S12a) is under the bonnet by the brake fluid filler, it is a grey relay with a black body and has a fuse attached to the front of it with a black cap on it. Fuse will either be 7.5A or 15A.

Dead easy to find and remove, be careful though when taking it out as the relay outer cover can come off (clips back on). Might be worth using a small screwdriver to ease it from the body and wiring. Was working on mine last week.
Cheers. Is it the one circled below (second from the left):
IMG_20200604_165112877_HDR~2.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found this thread (Troubleshooting suspected fuel issue) from a while back, in the first post the relay setup looks different to mine. On that thread its the left-most relay that has the fuse attached to it, whereas in mine it's the relay second from the left. The poster in the other thread states his is 1998 R reg GTV which is the same as mine. Not sure why the relay setup would be different?

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
104 Posts
For the removal of doubt.
Check the wire colours of the relay:
For Motronic M1.5.5 T.Spark 16V
Large(2.5) Red, Large Pink/White, Medium(1.5), Medium Lt Blue/Red, Medium Grey/White.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 09.33.28.png

For Motronic ME7.3.1 2.0L T.Spark 16V
Large(2.5) Red, Large Pink/White, Medium Orange/White, Medium Lt Blue/Red
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 09.40.41.png

Just in case you have the previous Motronic M2.10.4 2.0 T.Spark 16V (1970)
Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 09.48.38.png

Large (2.5) Red, Small(1.0) Purple/Black, Small Grey/Black

I imagine disconnecting the inertial fuel pump cutoff on the footwell sidewall would be easier than finding this elusive relay.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ian

For info there are only 2 versions of Motronic fitted to Ph 1 cars (M2.10.4 and M2.10.3), the changeover point is chassis no 6023907.

My (2) P reg cars (Ph 1.25) both have 10.4 so assuming yours was sold fairly quickly you'll be 10.4 as well, probably worth a quick check of the chassis number though to make sure. There are a few visual indicators of whether you've got a Ph 1, 1.25 or a 1.5 but that's just detail once you know which side of 6023907 you are, I think yours is most likely a 1.5 (10.4 plus Bosch 5.3 ABS)

Alfa have fitted the Motronic Supply S46 fuse to the Fuel Pump Relay in every Ph 1 I've looked at so it is a very quick and easy way of spotting the relay. They aren't always in the same order (mine are both first in from the left) on the bracket, if you're really not convinced unclip the relay body from the metal bracket and look for the following wire colours.

Thick red
Grey with black stripe
Purple with black stripe
Pink with white stripe

For info the other versions of Motronic mentioned by Barby above were never fitted to UK (and as far as I know any) TS 150 BHP CF1 cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ian

For info there are only 2 versions of Motronic fitted to Ph 1 cars (M2.10.4 and M2.10.3), the changeover point is chassis no 6023907.

My (2) P reg cars (Ph 1.25) both have 10.4 so assuming yours was sold fairly quickly you'll be 10.4 as well, probably worth a quick check of the chassis number though to make sure. There are a few visual indicators of whether you've got a Ph 1, 1.25 or a 1.5 but that's just detail once you know which side of 6023907 you are, I think yours is most likely a 1.5 (10.4 plus Bosch 5.3 ABS)
Thanks. Was it the M2.10.3 on pre 6023907 and the M2.10.4 after?

My chassis no is 6044415. Will this mean I have the M2.10.4?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts