Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for you all: what diameter is the metal fuel pipe on a 166 (pre-facelift, if that matters)?

And the best option for a temp repair (fuel is leaking) - fit flexible hose around the leak? Use some kind of repair tape?

I just need enough to control the leak whilst I get the car round to the menders...

cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Bear in mind that the rail is under full pressure of around 3 BAR so tape isn't likely to do it. I repaired a split plastic fuel line underneath my old 155 by cutting out a section, inserting a short length of metal brake pipe to make it solid then putting a length of HP fuel hose over the top with fuel pipe clips. Was intended to be a temporary repair but it was so effective I left it as it was.

Given a meal pipe, I'd cut it back to clean solid metal with a small pipe cutter (not a hacksaw, for many reasons...), put a slight flare on it with a brake pipe tool then join with HP hose and clips from Halfords or wherever. Done right, no need to do more than that.

Not knowing where it is, how it failed and what shape it is makes it hard to suggest a workable temporary fix though. Any chance of a picture?

I thought the lines were mostly plastic?? Could easily be mistaken though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts