Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Trouble is others will follow, then it will be mandatory. Followed by the banning of vehicles that do not have it because they are too old. Very difficult to argue against so called safety measures. Next thing will be for the car to transmit to receivers, if you do over-ride, for automatic issue of a fine and an increase in insurance fees. I think I've seen and experienced the best of times.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V

·
0 Posts
"Drivers can temporarily override the system by firmly depressing the accelerator pedal"

If I had such a car, I'd just end up thrashing it all the time to stop the blessed limiter cutting in :rolleyes:.

V

·
0 Posts
Trouble is others will follow, then it will be mandatory. Followed by the banning of vehicles that do not have it because they are too old. Very difficult to argue against so called safety measures. Next thing will be for the car to transmit to receivers, if you do over-ride, for automatic issue of a fine and an increase in insurance fees. I think I've seen and experienced the best of times.

Yes, I think this is what will drive the introduction of such hideous devices - insurance companies. Your premium will stay a similar amount if your car has one of these - if not, your premium will take a large hike.

It could well be the beginning of the end of the pleasurable driving experience.

Now then, where's Clarkson when you need him? Oh...:rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
This looks like a cruise controller where the set-speed can be read off roadsigns.

setting speed by controlling fuel is exactly how the current cruise systems work...

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Lots of cars already have speed limiters - mine does. What Ford has done is combine a limiter with traffic sign recognition & satnav, allowing the limit to be set automatically. The photo of the steering wheel indicates that its use is optional.

As long as it's under the control of the driver a limiter is, in my experience, a useful device to have. We use it a lot in 30 & 40 limits & on busy 60/70 limit roads where traffic levels preclude the use of the speed control.

As I recall, my 147 had a speed warning device; a limiter is just the next step on from that.

I have some slight misgivings about the Ford system. I'm not convinced that the sign recognition system is infallible & if using the satnav it relies on the database being up-to-date; what will it do if the two datasets conflict? I wouldn't rely on a limiter to slow the car down when entering areas with a lower speed limit, as all it's doing in effect is lifting off the accelerator.

I suspect the sign recognition is going to be a waste of time in the US!

There's always, of course, the "big brother" aspect, but there are already other technologies that could be used to to that job.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
The Sunday Times found a small problem with the sign recognition system. Following a foreign wagon with a "90 km/h" plate on the back it thought it was entering a 90 mph limit! Ford says the software has been modified. . .

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Speaking from a professional standpoint, that shows a remarkable lack of software testing. There's nowhere on earth that posts 90 MPH speed limits, so the system should have immediately rejected the input as invalid...

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
What happens when a bunch of kids erect some 30 signs by a motorway for a laugh?

I fear that many of these systems will fall foul of the real world.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Any system like that needs to be over-ridable (is that even a word?). Sometimes you need to accelerate to avoid an accident or other trouble.

We all know what a darned nuisance speed-limited HGVs are on two-lane dual carriageways as well ... :rant:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I hope this is better at reading the outside world than the reversing sensors on the two Fords in my family, which scream if there's a hedge alongside and when you reverse down the pavement crossover.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
That has not happened with older vehicles though has it? I mean my Pal's 1970 383ci (6.2L) Dodge Charger pays no road tax. My old Ferrari Mondial had lower road tax than my previous 02 VW Passat. It does not sound like the government are trying to ban older vehicles, don't think that will change.

This looks like a cruise controller where the set-speed can be read off roadsigns.

setting speed by controlling fuel is exactly how the current cruise systems work...
It looks good, I'd certainly welcome that in my daily snotter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts