Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL:
WELL, IT SEEMS THAT THE PRINE OF DARKNESS ALSO CAME TO VISIT MY INSTRUMENT PANEL.
TODAY I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF A JAM LOOKING MY PANEL AND WHAT I SEE ?
THE FUEL LEVEL GAUGE WAS GOING FROM FULL TO EMPTY ONCE AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!
THE FUEL TANK HAS MORE THAN 3/4 FUEL IN IT!
WHEN I MOVED THE CAR THEN IT WENT TO "NORMAL" 3/4 TANK.
I DON´T KNOW IF THERE COULD BE A PROBLEM WITH THE EARTH SIGNAL THAT SENDS THE FUEL LEVEL TRANSMITTER OR SOME PROBLEM IN THE INSTRUMENT.
REALLY I´M NOT VERY ENTHUSIAST TO TAKE OFF THE ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP AND THE SENDER FROM THE REAR FUEL TANK WORKING INSIDE THE TRUNK!!!
ANY OF YOU HAD HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM ?
I REMEMBER SOMEONE LAST YEAR, BUT THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE GAUGE INDICATES EMPTY INSTEAD OF FULL OR VICEVERSA, BUT NOT WAS LIKE WHAT HAPPENS TO MINE THAT THE GAUGE GOT NUTS !!!!
BEST REGARDS
JORGE :confused:

G

·
My gauge does the same. Normally at about 1/2 a tank and then again at about 1/4 tank. It flits from empty to the level of the tank. Check your low fuel light is working and you won't need to worry too much if the problem gets worse.

Marlon

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O.K. MARLON, IT SEEMS THAT I´M NOT ALONE IN THIS TOPIC !
CHEERS
JORGE

G

·
Ah... the ghost of Joe Lucas strikes again.

When I was a young lad I had a Fiat 128 Coupe. It was the prettiest car I ever saw until thenbut anyway.... it had a similar problem.

When the fuel level dropped to a particular point, about 1/3 of a tank, the gauge would "die" and the needle would drop down to read "empty".

If I put more fuel in, to fill the tank above this particular point, the gauge would show the correct level and work normally, until the level dropped to 1/3 again.

What that turned out to be was the gauge sender in the fuel tank. It had a little float on one end, like the inside of a toilet cistern, and at the other end it had an electrical brush contact that moved over a flat wound coil of wire, rather like a piano keyboard (is the best way to describe it).

What happens is, as the float goes up and down at one end, the brush runs up and down the flat wound wire at the other. The position of the brush on the wire creates a higher or lower resistance and that's what the fuel gauge uses to work out how much gas there is.

Anyway, the flat wound wire had snapped at one point (the brush eventually wears it out) and when the gauge reached that point, the contact was broken and the gauge needle collapsed.

That doesn't sound like your problem but I just thought I'd mention it,

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Maybe Ralf has something here.

maybe the contact from th float is skipping away from the coil. This would explain the rise and fall from full to empty but then the operation going back to normal.

Could just have been some dirt in the sender but if it happens a lot then looks like you are in for a new one, Jorge.

G

·
I didn't believe my guage either today.. & hey presto.. I ran out of petrol.. how stupid did I feel when everyone I'd over taken drove past.. doh!

L8tr,
Alex

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I REALLY THINK THAT JOE LUCAS LIVES INTO MY FUEL TANK AND HE PLAYS WITH THE FUEL SENDER.
SIMILAR PROBLEM LIKE THE RALF´S 128 I THINK.
BUT LIKE HE IS PLAYING YESTERDAY AND TODAY IT HAVE WORKED PERFECTLY !!!
REGARDS
JORGE :confused:

G

·
Howdy.

My low fuel light stays on pretty much all the time. It will go off after 20 or 30 mins. Hmmnnnn. Why I wonder?

Oliver

1 - 8 of 8 Posts