Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 159's developed a really bad and audible ticking/clicking (tappet??) over the last few months, very noticeable on cold start (seems louder in the car!!), quieting down ever so slighly when up to temperature. Anyway while looking for the source of the noise I noticed a fair amount of diesel pooling on top of the inlet manifold by the swirl valve linkage on cylinder 1. A good 1/2 teaspoon was sloshing about from cold start to operating temp and more appeared to be bubbling from the linkage pivot point. Could this be linked to the tappet noise? Looks bad to me, can't figure out where the leak would be coming from.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When my 1.9 had "tappet" noise, the Alfa technician said it was the high pressure injectors that made the noise. Perhaps you have a failed injector or a split fuel rail? Once had a Toyota D4D engine that split the metal feed pipe and spewed diesel all over the top of the engine - its not just Alfas!
Have you noticed your fuel consumption going up?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would have a look under the plastic engine cover with the engine running. (It just pulls off if you've never had to do this before) When it happened on the Toyota engine it was the fuel rail sitting on top of the engine that had split and leaked under pressure. The top of the engine was flooded with fuel. MPG dropping more than 10% could easily suggest a split pipe/loose fuel union etc.
You may be able to see the point of leakage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts