Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
ok, the GT has never given me any real problems to date, had timing belt, water pump, discs pads etc all done in last few months and I love the motor!! But..

Last weekend just gone I had round trip of 300 miles to the Norfolk coast, no problems. A few miles of country lanes but no potholes and noticed nothing unusual. Last night however back in Romford, where the roads are worse than a dirt track in Azerbajan for potholes, i hit one hard: This may or may not have any bearing on the problem that follows:-

On way to work this morning whilst sat at the lights I noticed a strong fuel smell. Lights changed, car in front pulls away & i hoped it had been him running rich. However tonight at the lights, same again. Back on the drive I did a few tests, such as turning the heater off, which resulted in less fumes whilst standing, then back on full blast through mid air vents, result: Fuel smell. Opened bonnet, no smell obvious, so stuck my nose over manifold cover= no smell of fuel. Moved to the back of the engine where the pipes and hoses are and a definite smell of fuel.

So, have i got a loose or split hose? Is it a simple fix? No massive or noticeable loss of fuel, in fact on trip home tonight the computer still crept up on the fuel usage, not down. I dont drive hard, always under 3000 revs, unless I'm pulling out at a busy junction, but not in normal use. I dont race her, dont thrash her and use 6th ASAP. So, no heavy fuel pressure being pumped through.

Any of you knowledgeable Alfisti have any suggestions? My bella is a 2005 GT Jtd, 52000 miles, always serviced on time, last done in August 2011.

As always, any help much appreciated!
Cheers,
Stu

L

·
0 Posts
remove the top engine cover & start the engine. inspect the areas around the injectors & the fuel filter

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Lacken,

Will do tomorrow at work in daylight. Should have added that I cant see any fuel puddles, and no smell around car either.

cheers

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at the manifold? possible I suppose, will i see little puffs of diesely smoke if this is the case?

L

·
0 Posts
i'm thinking that if the car bottomed out the front down pipe could be damaged, the joint just after the turbo can be easily damaged.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it never actually bottomed out, but it was a hard hit, more like going over a disused mine shaft, which is unusual for Greater London, i suppose that could have loosened/lost a bolt. Was hardest pothole i've ever hit. Was only doing 35.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, my 156 2.0 TS Sportswagon had a similar problem. The plastic container on the top of the fuel level sender cracked & leaked a small amount of fuel but the smell was terrible. Just remove the cover that is just behind the rear seats and you can see the fuel level sender. Check whether there's fuel around it. Changing it solved the smell problem.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Stu, there is a return line to the tank at the rear of the engine on the left side close to the MAP sensor, it has a couple of pipes connected. These often leak; mine did resulting in a leak down the back of the engine that looked like an oil leak, a jubilee clip solved it!

Another member from Havering!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahhh i'm in the apartments next to the OAP home, car behind security gates out of sight. Now, if you had axle stands or a ramp then I could be your new mate ;-) just kidding!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
ahhh i'm in the apartments next to the OAP home, car behind security gates out of sight. Now, if you had axle stands or a ramp then I could be your new mate ;-) just kidding!
I can do the axle stands and hi-lift trolley jack.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, if youre serious, then for a reward of a half-decent bottle of vino, i would love to nip over for 30mins to climb underneath her when you have a free moment.
Would have replied earlier, but was hosting a Burns Nigh supper for a Scottish mate last night, and whiskey and thinking are never good.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
latest update (I know you're all enthralled by this and its the highlight of your day..)

Toxic, when you say on left hand side of engine is that as you look at it or from inside the car. And.. what does the MAP sensor look like..:confused:

I'm trying to get the chance to go underneath it at the weekend, so if i know what I'm looking at and for, it would be handy:lol:

Still confusing, as when I ran my hand under the car, on lines just past the downpipe it was definitley wet, yet fuel pump dry. So may be you are right.

Annoying thing is that I cant get it fixed til I'm sure what the problem is!:rant:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well thanks to Toxic (Rob) I can rule out the fuel return line and Rob's keen eye spotted a damp patch just below the fuel pump, sitting on some sort of metal plate. Perhaps it is the fulel pump then.... :confused: :(

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE: On Rob (Toxic) advice I took the car to Sunnyside Garage in Chadwell Heath. Vic and Felice looked at it and said the dripping was aircon condensation, and smelt dieselly as it would collect muck from the outside of the engine as it ran down. So, no new fuel pump needed! Saved me literally hundreds. Advised to keep an eye on it but fuel pump and lines all dry, and no fuel coming out anywhere. These guys have made my weekend and month:D

This is why Alfas get a bad name, general mechanics with no Alfa experience just assuming its the worst. Sunnyside all the way from now on!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts