Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Awkward to quote my own post. However might save someone trouble. Posted this in 164/166 section. But valid for all 24V Alfa.

Just to warn everyone here to keep an eye on your fuel lines and hoses. Our cars are getting older and by coincidence noticed there is a smell of petrol in the garage. Did not connect with another symptom of little longer starts - starter motor turning two or three times after longer stand still.

I had a leak on a hose joint between the fuel rails. Saw it only when it became much worse leaving a handful amount trapped on the heads and engine block.

At first tried to fix it by installing a clamp which made it even worse. Only by disconnecting and removing the old hose realized what is going on. As you see from the pictures below the outer rubber has sort of protection function only. There is a plastic tubing inside that cracked at the fuel rail neck causing a leak. There is no way clamp would help.

Changed for a thick inside braided rubber fuel hose. But there might be even nicer looking or longer lasting alternatives on the market.

Registered
I replaced the rubber shrouded nylon lines and dorman connectors (which go a bit brittle) with proper modern sae j30 r9 spec fuel hose and hose clips.
Whatever you do, dont remove the plastic pipe and clamp on just the rubber protective sleave acting as the fuel line, especially as some european countries use e10 petrol now, the standard rubber pipe used alone will be eaten away.

Registered
I replaced the rubber shrouded nylon lines and dorman connectors (which go a bit brittle) with proper modern sae j30 r9 spec fuel hose and hose clips.
Whatever you do, dont remove the plastic pipe and clamp on just the rubber protective sleave acting as the fuel line, especially as some european countries use e10 petrol now, the standard rubber pipe used alone will be eaten away.

What size fuel hose did you use dave?

Registered
Great job, much neater than OEM.

I need to do the same, where could I get the hoses and clips from?

thanks
Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts