Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well....yes & no. I went out to buy a new battery (as I was jumping the car from my Volvo), installed the new battery and it now just sputters....doesnt really fire.

So, all I can rule out is the fuel pump. there may be a clog in the fuel line (as, using the glass bottle method aforementioned, the carbs sucked in about 1/2 litre) as it’s now reconnected and/or the carbs need tuning.

So I’m very close and greatly encouraged that the engine still runs smoothly...when it has fuel :)

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok...here we go again.
After figuring out the fuel issue with your help, I hosed down the engine bay (cuz it WAS filthy) and left the car to dry....for 2 weeks...whilst I went off on holiday (Ironically to Italy).

It now doesnt start.....again....argh!

One interesting thing - the coil is super hot. I had disconnected the battery whilst I was away to prevent drainage and to let the engine bay dry out well.

Reconnected the battery and tried to start. didn’t start to left it for a couple of hours. Came back and that is when I realised the coil is super hot. So I disconnected it and will try again tomorrow. But why would the coil be super hot? Some type of short?

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
The coil will get warm, quite warm, but did it get hot with the ignition off?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ah, no, the ignition was on (to prevent the anti-theft from kicking in - trying to troubleshoot lol).

so probably normal them.

will check back in tomorrow

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi guys - so my car won’t start. I need help. As a reminder:
  • I thought there was a fuel pump problem initially - with your help I got it started about 2 weeks ago
  • before leaving on holiday, I hosed down the (cold) engine compartment - it was filthy as the car sat for 3 years without running (i know, i know :)
  • it didn’t start after but I figured I had soaked something (like the starter coil / etc). so, I figured it would dry out over my 2 week holiday
  • I still have the hand pump connected so pumped fuel to the fuel pump today
  • so, no fuel issue
  • it won’t start. I reseated all plugs and the wires to the coil
any ideas on what to check?

·
Registered
361 Posts
You've probably burnt out the coil. You should never leave the ignition on for more than a minute or so, as that will be the result.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts