Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car stinks of petrol - it is nice to a degree but the novelty has worn off. I took it to a garage to have the fuel system checked and was told it is fine - they found a blow on the exhaust and fixed that.

It still stinks of petrol so I have had a proper look myself and can see one of the injectors on the rear bank is weeping. Clearly won't be sensible to drive it until this is fixed so I want to get it sorted asap.

Given the injectors are fairly easy to get to, I feel I might attempt the job myself. Has anyone on here any experience of similar issues and repair they wouldn't mid sharing? I just need some idea of what tool and parts I will need and whether I need to do anything daft like drain the fuel system or reset the throttle after etc.

any help appreciated

adam

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
My car stinks of petrol - it is nice to a degree but the novelty has worn off. I took it to a garage to have the fuel system checked and was told it is fine - they found a blow on the exhaust and fixed that.

It still stinks of petrol so I have had a proper look myself and can see one of the injectors on the rear bank is weeping. Clearly won't be sensible to drive it until this is fixed so I want to get it sorted asap.

Given the injectors are fairly easy to get to, I feel I might attempt the job myself. Has anyone on here any experience of similar issues and repair they wouldn't mid sharing? I just need some idea of what tool and parts I will need and whether I need to do anything daft like drain the fuel system or reset the throttle after etc.

any help appreciated

adam
Obviously disconnect the battery negative before you start. The little cap ends on the right hand side of the fuel rails hide the pressure release valves....I wouldn't imagine much petrol will come out of these but have a large rag handy just in case.

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
There are two O-rings and one 'shim' per injector, they keep them in stock at Autolusso in Bedfordshire. You'll also need to replace the gaskets under the chrome tubes "trumpet gaskets" is the name they go by. Not a difficult job, just take your time.

Reactions: will01

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I replaced all of mine when i did rebuild of car last year. Just make sure when you put injectors back in you do not pinch them. Apply a little silicon lube and they will slide in nicely. Also make sure the inlet manifold they slide into is clean of corrosion.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all thanks for the advice

Dan - I will give Ned's team a ring and order the required bits - may as well do them all in line with WIll01's comments.

Do I need a special tool to get the chrome trumpets off? Will I need new rubber bits too? do I even need to take them off?

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Hi all thanks for the advice

Dan - I will give Ned's team a ring and order the required bits - may as well do them all in line with WIll01's comments.

Do I need a special tool to get the chrome trumpets off? Will I need new rubber bits too? do I even need to take them off?
Call me tomorrow I will sort the parts for you. You will need new gaskets for the chrome trumpets. Might as will take them all off and give them a good clean, we use Cif :biglaugh:

Ned

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Don't forget to get some of the special pliers to remove the clips on the trumpet rubbers! Make life A LOT easier.

Reactions: will01

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Don't forget to get some of the special pliers to remove the clips on the trumpet rubbers! Make life A LOT easier.
Yup, they are only £12 to £15. I have got more than my moneys worth out of them :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts