Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine how fuel is getting into the oil on my Alfa. I just had the injectors rebuilt, but the issue started prior to having them rebuilt. The cold Start injector does not appear to be the issue, as I have removed it from the plenum so I could observe it. The pressure regulator does not appear to be leaking into the vacuum port on the plenum. Is there a possibility one of the injectors could be receiving an electrical signal leaving it open? This would allow the fuel system to bleed down and into the cylinders.

Thanks for any assistance,
Mitchell

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
that is odd.....(its a common problem with spica injected cars, but not L-jetronic spiders, like your 83)

just a fuel smell on the dipstick? or visible signs of fuel in the oil?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is odd.....(its a common problem with spica injected cars, but not L-jetronic spiders, like your 83)

just a fuel smell on the dipstick? or visible signs of fuel in the oil?
There is a smell of fuel. The viscosity of the oil has changed significantly enough to lower the oil pressure at start up and after the engine is at operating temp.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
First I don't know anything about these systems but my 75 V6 once filled the sum with petrol.
The cause on that was there was a pressure regulator on the front of the plenum intake chamber with one side connected to the intake and the other connected to the plenum.
The purpose of the regulator was to Sen e atmospheric pressure change via fluctuating inlet vacuum change and regulate the fuel rail pressure.
The tdgulator failed and the fuel filled the intake so much that it got into the sump.
You system may not have anything like this but it could be a similar component.
Another check is to pull each plug and see if you have a wet plug(s). Excess fuel isn't always burnt and can get past the rings into the sump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First I don't know anything about these systems but my 75 V6 once filled the sum with petrol.
The cause on that was there was a pressure regulator on the front of the plenum intake chamber with one side connected to the intake and the other connected to the plenum.
The purpose of the regulator was to Sen e atmospheric pressure change via fluctuating inlet vacuum change and regulate the fuel rail pressure.
The tdgulator failed and the fuel filled the intake so much that it got into the sump.
You system may not have anything like this but it could be a similar component.
Another check is to pull each plug and see if you have a wet plug(s). Excess fuel isn't always burnt and can get past the rings into the sump.
Thanks for the replies. I did have an issue with the fuel pressure regulator last year. It was replaced. What I noticed when the regulator failed, was the plenum where the vacuum hose was connected was almost ice cold from the fuel being sucked into it. I will pull each plug again to see if they are wet. I also plan to start the engine then see if my lighted diagnostic probe will fit into the spark plug hole. I also replaced the rotor, distributor cap and I have ordered a new set of wires. Sooner or later the problem will be located. Hopefully sooner.

Thanks,
Mitchell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts